My first Garand

Beretta16

Well the guy in the big white truck rolled up in front of my house today and dropped off my first M1 Garand!

I ordered a Service grade HRA and I got one in the 5.5 mill serial range. The gun has a dark walnut stock with perfect matching handguards, and the wood has one little dime sized gouge in it and other than that it's perfect. I would have mistook it for a Correct or Collector's grade.

As I started to strip the gun and play with it I wrote down the maker of the parts as I went..

Reciever.. HRA
Next the Bolt face... HRA
The Windage and elevation knobs... HRA
The barrel... HRA

I then pulled off the trigger housing and baseplate,

Trigger housing.. HRA
Hammer... HRA
Safety... HRA

And then looked at the gas plug... HRA!

Needless to say I am ecstatic. Not only is the gun beautiful, but it is totally correct. I tried the bullet test and the muzzle wear seemed very minimal. The bore is extremely shiny and bright and the crown is flawless.

Thank you so much CMP!

The pictures really don't do it justice, it was shot with a junky point and shoot camera.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 29 Update-Range report:

Well no pictures, but I got the Garand out to the range today. I was firing Greek Surplus 68 headstamp I believe. What a thrill! It is by far the most fun gun I have ever shot.

My initial shots were about 5" to the left. After dialing it in, I started to shoot a few groups.. This gun is an absolute tack driver. I'm by no means a great shot, but I managed 1.5" groups at 100 yards. For irons on a 55 year old gun I would consider that amazing. I seemed to hit the jackpot on this Garand and I couldn't be happier.

100% correct, beautiful, shiny bore with very little muzzle wear, and it shoots 1.5" groups. I cannot think of a better way to spend $617!

Thank you CMP :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
144.jpg

157.jpg

160.jpg

Last edited:
Bullet test is putting a 30-06 round into the muzzle to see how much it "swallows" the bullet. Kind of a poor man's muzzle gauge

Welcome to the M1 club Beretta. You got a fine looking Garand :)

Stripper down,a nd use some carb cleaner and get all that old red grease out of every nook and cranny.

Then follow the manual and greaser up good, and go bang bang

Fine tool ya got there.

Well no pictures, but I got the Garand out to the range today. I was firing Greek Surplus 68 headstamp I believe. What a thrill! It is by far the most fun gun I have ever shot.

My initial shots were about 5" to the left. After dialing it in, I started to shoot a few groups.. This gun is an absolute tack driver. I'm by no means a great shot, but I managed 1.5" groups at 100 yards. For irons on a 55 year old gun I would consider that amazing. I seemed to hit the jackpot on this Garand and I couldn't be happier.

100% correct, beautiful, shiny bore with very little muzzle wear, and it shoots 1.5" groups. I cannot think of a better way to spend $617!

Thank you CMP :D

Well the brown truck rolled up to my FFL on Wednesday and I acquired my first SA M1 Garand with a CMP cert. 1942 serial # 832xxx. The MW is 1.5 and the TE is 2. It was inspected and cleaned by Tony Pucci of Orion 7 Enterprises, who now happens to be the President of the Garand Collectors Association.
Wood is all origional with some distinctive battle dings, RRA (Red River Arms) initials and "P" cartouche on the stockand origional sling.
Can't wait to shoot it but have been cautioned about using commercial ammo and have not yet acquired any Milsurp or got my 30-06 reloading set-up.
Any advice from you M1 garand aficiandos to an M1 newbie would be gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Last edited:
Nice!

just a quick mention that while your rifle with all matching maker parts is "correct", mismatched maker parts guns are also "correct", they just have a slightly different history. Collectors, of course seem to prefer the former version of correct, when they are shelling out the bucks.

Back