My First Elk

recoil junky

I hope this is where a thread like this should go.

Quite a few people ask me "Why are you such an avid elk hunter?" I think this explains it.

This was taken in late October 1964 (I was 5) when we live on the O/Z Ranch, 9 mile up Lolo Creek. Seems like it was yesterday. The mount is in Don Vanaman's house in Bozeman. He scored 380 something I think.

RJ

Nice picture RJ, one to cherish.

I did not catch the elk bug until the early 90's. Prior to that I chased bucks in Utah and California. When our Utah hunt got cut due to drought conditions reducing the herd, we ended up getting to hunt the Deseret Land & Livestock ranch in Northern Utah on management hunts for doe deer and antelope, and cow elk. It only took one time and I was hooked. When the Deseret manager changed hands and they wanted us to pay a guide fee we started hunting southern Colorado.

A 1917 Remington Enfield in 30-06AI. K2.5 Weaver with a Varmint Master 6X adapter on King Pike mounts. Some kid (:o me) was using it and lost the ebony fore end cap.

Here's my oldest with his first deer shot with that rifle.

And his second elk.

He takes after his Grampa.

RJ

Mom took 'em with her Brownie Hawkeye camera. I think she used up a roll of film because there's at least eight pictures that I know of, but that one is the only one in "captivity"

RJ

Back