My first .45...yes it's a Ruger P97 :)

grapeshad

I've posted this on some other forums so sorry if this seems redundant to you.

Have been waiting like everyone else(well people who like Glocks) for the 36 to make it's debut. Have come to grips that it may be a LONG wait. Went to Four Seasons today for my usual Saturday ammo run. While looking around I figured I'd look at a few .45's. Tried both the S&W 457 and the Sig 245. Neither one felt great in my hands. The Kimbers and Colts felt great as 1911's do. The 21 and 30 have been ruled out due to the grip being just a bit to big for my hand, hence the wish for a 36.

While looking at some stuff I notice a gentleman come in with a Ruger to sell in the shop. I thought it was a 93 or 95 but notice the 97 on the case. "Hmm never have even considered a Ruger." Talked with him a bit and he was selling the 97DC as he already had a 97 DAO that he prefers. He said he only put about 100 rounds thru it but he just didn't care for the SA/DA mode.
He let me handle the gun a bit. Felt great in my hands, moreso than anything else I had tried that day.(Save the 1911's)

After he did his deal with the shop I got to thinking more and more about the 97. I asked Carl(Owner of Four Seasons) what he wanted for the piece. "199.99 it's yours" I said deal before the last 9 came out of his mouth. Mind you this is buy made with ZERO knowledge of Rugers.

Took it to the range tonight and suffice to say, its probably the best 200 bucks I have spent in a long time. The gun was as NIB and ate 150 rounds of 230 grn Blazers with zero problems. Finish is exceptional and accuracy is fine.

For 200 dollars I say I got quite a bargain. I know it probably wont hold a candle to a 220 or a well made 1911 but for that price how can I go wrong. Bottom line is for a low price reliable .45 you can't go wrong with a P97DC(well at least 150 rounfd of being reliable :))

Don't you just love sending messages about a new gun even though most folks don't give a rat's you know what? Sort of brings out the little kid in us :)

Greetings, Nothing wrong with your deal at
all. As a matter of fact, sounds like you
got a great bargain. And, I might add I
believe you will enjoy that Ruger P97 very
much. They are known to be "rock solid". :eek:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

I dunno. I recommended one to a friend who did not have the $$$ for a "better" .45. Other than the "bulkyness" of the Ruger, I am hard pressed to see that it's very far behind the Sig/1911/USP/Glock bunch. Everytime I checked, the bullet was the same. :)

His was a bit picky - would fire anything, but accuracy was so-so until we tried a JHP load. (been too long - probably Hydra-Shocks) Then the groups tightened right up.

I think they are very under rated. Besides, you got a great price!

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

At the age of 16 I talked my dad into buying me a 9MM (Don't laugh) all I could afford at the time of the wondernine era was the Ruger P89dc. Very reliable and durable. Got rid of it because it didn't look and feel right. Saw the 97 in the G&A, like the lines. I would probably get a stiffer recoil spring and maybe a recoil reducer. I would like to get one at $200. Hope you get years of fun from it.

grapeshad: Congrats on a SMOKIN' deal! Mine is DAO, and I love it. Three round groups @25yds. of 1.5" w/both Silvertip and Fed. PD 165 gr. loads. Recoils less than LW Commander, so it should also be easier than the Sig.
Upon re-assembly of slide to frame, you may need to retract the slide group a couple of mm's in order to insert the slide stop. I did not feel that the instructions were clear enough on this. Good shooting! :)

Back