My favorites

Prichard

My all-time favorites in the handgun, rifle, and shotgun to date are:

My sister-in-law's a SW .22 SS 'Kit Gun' j-frame w/ a 4" bbl, got me back to shooting again. Now back at her fathers, an ex-FFL. I had borrowed it while operating a carbon dioxide liquefaction plant in the middle of nowhere. Shot thousands of rounds through it (SA and DA). In daylight and dark until cows were put out to pasture there, and my shooting was limited to daylight hours (a nice sized little mesa was by back stop). My next intended purchase will be a .22lr wheel gun.

An old Winchester M94 30-30 that survived a fall on to the highway at 45mph. A gun from my youth, first shot a 9yrs old (shouldered on my bicep, left a cool bruise :)). Last shot when 17, dad traded it and an Arminus .38sp (it once proved that the Master Lock & rifle commercial is a joke ;)) for bows for my younger siblings. Never killed anything but a jack rabbit (what's the statute of limitations on game laws :)), but it was fun.

A home-made pistol-gripped sawed off single shot 12ga (complete w/ added brass tacks). H&R. A guy had 'hawked' it to a man for gas money to Boise City, OK of all places. Never came back for it. He was nice enough to lend it out, but wouldn't sell it. Couldn't hit a damn thing with it :o :). But it was FUN for a high school kid. I'd shoot it one handed and then let some else try (not many wanted to). The ones that did always bloodied their knuckles; I didn't (a stout kid). Still want one (maybe I ought to cut down my NEF ;)).

Until I broke it, my current favorite (most shot/most fun) was a Daisy Powerline 880 air rifle that was bought at a garage sale. A fun sparrow shooter. Cheap to feed. No recoil. Also fun to shoot 'strike-anywhere' matches at cinder block fences at night.

[This message has been edited by Prichard (edited October 05, 1999).]

My absolute favourite was an el-cheapo Bentley pump-action "riot" shotgun in 12 ga (20" barrel) from the Phillipines.

The government crushed it.

Kicked like a bitch -- shot like a dream.

Never forget nor forgive.

B

(PS: I can now buy a "cheap" under and over for a minimum $1000 -- forget it!!)

I'll take a shot at this.
Handgun- 1911. This was a very tough choice. After thinking about it, I realized I shoot my 1911s more than any other handgun.

Rifle- Winchester 9422. Short, light and tack driving accurate.

Shotgun- Remington 11-48. This one belonged to my Dad so there is some sentimental attachment. But still, Its a fine old gun, points well and shoots like a dream.

Rifle: M-1 Garand. Nothing beats the piiiing! of the clip coming out.

(I love my AR too!)

Pistol: M1911A1 (although I shoot my 92FS better)

Shotgun: My trusty Remington 870 Express in 12 ga. A pump is manly. The 870 is simple. And its the only shotgun I own.

rifle: pre-ban AR 16" collaps.stock with forward-mounted Aimpoint. Pure fun. The only gun I own that has converted 100% of all the antis i've taken to the range into gunners.

handgun: Govt Model 1911s. Any of them, from stock-out-of-the-box to fully tricked-out. There's nothing like the slow thuded recoil of an all-steel .45

shotgun: I must admit I'm a rabid 870 fan, but I just shot one of those EAA cowboy-action coach shotguns, and man what a neat little double.

My favorite of all time? Was a GI Issue 1911 that saved my life, a long time ago. The thing was old - the slide rattled even... had probably no finish left on it... Couldnt lock back on an empty mag...
God, did I love that gun!
I HATED having to give it back.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I'll play too.

Handgun...hmmm...so many. OK, all time favorite was my old Colt Gold Cup. You know, back when Colt knew how to make a .45 auto, or maybe the Clark Long Heavy Slide.

Rifle...a toss up...the Dakota M76 in 30-06 with upgraded wood and my mint (almost) 1952 Mannlicher Schoenauer (spelling).

Favorite shotgun had to be my Merkel 200E, or was it the Grade IV Superposed?

Now listen up youngsters. I no longer have any of those firearms, sold them all...stupid, stupid, stupid...

Broomhandle Mauser - my first love as a third grader.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Handgun:

Toss up between a 1950 vintage commader lightwieght in 45acp (sentimental favorite) and a 1917 colt new service army model (first big bore i bought). One was a gift, the other a steal ($275). I shoot the revolver better. And its so "wierd" looking with the oversized trigger guard and front sight 3/4 inches high. buddy of mine called it my "Elliot Ness" gun ;) As i recall.. sam spade carried one in his car (or was it phillip marlowe?) Hammet knew his shootin' irons ;)

Rifle:

Savage model 116 stanless 30-06, heavy fluted barrel. Shoots .5 moa at 100 yards. Deadly. My dad claims I can "shoot the eyes out of a snake" with this rifle. (nicest thing dad's ever said about my marksmanship). Its weatherproof, its plastic, its lightwieght. Guess i'd have to paint it green and cover it with burlap straps to make it a REAL sniper's rifle.. but it still shoots like one. Santa can i PLEASE have a shepard scope for christmas????? and HEY someone tell savage to make this rifle in .375 H&H magnum!!!!!!!

UN PC Rifle

Mak 90 in .223. Shoots a 2 moa at 100 yards, is so simple a FISH can take it apart and clean it, its INSTANTLY recognizable as a dirt eating work horse. Dunk it in mud shoot it some more, rinse with clean water. Shoot it some more. Oil it once in a while. Shoot it some more. (if only the chinese blued their guns as well as the e.germans and hungarians.) It is pretty? NOPE. Does it Work? YES. Nastroviya Kalishnikova!

Shotgun

Pedersoli Black powder dbl 12 ga. with 18 in. barrels. (another Gun show STEAL at $225) I LOVE the KAWHOOSH noise it makes at the trap range and brings the range officer running every time (who the hell is shooting magnum... OH its YOU Again!!! How is that front stuffer treating ya son?) an ounce and a quarter of shot and 90 grains of ffG makes for some serious shotgunning fun. I might actually HUNT with it this year (got some #6 shot for pheasant).

heheheh (loading my range bag now)

Dr.Rob

My favorite of all times:
Winchester Model 63 .22 Semi-auto. just about the best semi-auto ever made. Love them so much, I own 9 of them. I shoot them at least 1-2 times per year and when I see them for sale, it's like a hunk of candy and I've got just enough to pay for it in my pocket....Love them 63's.

------------------
To own firearms is to affirm that freedom and liberty are not gifts from the state.

Back