My favorite SHOT Show '99 gun is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
For two out of three years, a Kel-Tec! (2 years ago, the Sub-9 carbine would have been my favorite firearm.)

The .32 ACP is a cartridge that has been enthusiastically exploited in the last year. The Autauga Arms, NAA Guardian, and Beretta Tomcat .32's seem to have been selling extremely well, with nearly everyone in some circles I deal with clamoring for one (mostly the NAA Guardian).

I had previously planned on purchasing a Guardian, but had delayed, mostly because of the somewhat pricey ($400+) price tag. The Beretta, while not a large gun, is too large for the caliber. I don't like tip-ups, anyway. The AA .32 seems to be pricier, harder to find, and more finicky than the Guardian. I recently rejoined the Kel-Tec owner's group (KTOG), and found that the .32 that had been tentatively discussed months ago had become a reality. I saw blued, nickel-plated, and parkerized versions today.

The P-32 is the flattest firearm I have ever seen. Aside (possibly!) from pen guns, it is also the lightest. It appears- I did not have one handy- to be taller and longer than the Guardian. The trigger pull is nicer, at a listed 6 lbs. I believe it may be even less. (The setup is different than the 9mm P-11, to which it bears a resemblance. It does not have second-strike capability, but has a much nicer trigger pull. Kel-Tec describes the action as "slide-assisted double-action only".) The P-32 is very similar in size to the Intratec Pro-tec 25, slightly longer but thinner (and, made of real steel :)). There is a sighting channel, with a very low profile ( :() front sight. I believe this will be, quite possibly, even more successful than the popular P-11 9mm, and bet it will be the best-selling firearm of 1999. Factory data follows.

.32 Weight-6.6 oz (loaded, 9.4 oz)
L-5.07" Width-.75"
Bl-2.68" 7+1 rounds

And all with a lifetime guarantee and possibly the best customer service in the business! :) :) :)

OK, I gotta get this right. Your at the shotshow in Atlanta? The only gun at said show that pulled yer chain was a .32acp??? That's freakin nuts! Blow yer head off as Bill Hicks the comic said to the marketing folks. Do the planet a favor. Seriuosly, after seeing the German and Brit doubles with five figure prices along side Engraved Belgiun Shotguns ya want only a 32 acp? Yup, kill yerself.

------------------

AFFA

hmmmmmm,

Expensive useless guns aside ( ;))..... I heard at least one dealer and two wholesalers say that the P32 would be the sneak-up-on-ya gun of the Show.
Spectre is a kel-tec fan, he brought the gun to my attention this morning. later, I started to hear a lot of comments being made. It is going to be a hot seller.
At well under $300 retail it is going to take a lot of business from people considering the Gaurdian or Autaga.

Spectre,

Thanks for the post. I've been contemplating a NAA Guardian too, but they're so much $$$, even though they make them right here in town. They retail around here in the $380-390 range.

I'll take a long hard look at the new Kel Tek. Thanks again.

Steve Koski
skoski@geneva.com

Well Rob, did ya get by the Freedom Arms booth? Check out the 1997 in .45LC. How about the Steyr in the goofy 376? Useful? Do you consider the .32acp useful? 125lbs of energy? How about carrying some CS, it'll work better. I just don't get the whole pocket gun thing. I once tried a Seecamp at the range, missed headshots at 21ft. Should'nt the gun you carry be depended on to do a specific job? Is a headshot @ 25yds too much to ask of a pistol? Lubby Cafeteria ring any bells? My wife carrys a P-7 PSP without complaining. Just my opinion guys, but the last time I got hit by a pocket pistol it failed to go through my leather. Ya wanna know what we did to him? Sorry, statute of limitations......

------------------

AFFA

WEll,

Yes, I think the .32 is better than nothing. Yes, I carry a .32 relatively often, at least as a backup.
Yes, I'd rather have a .40 or a shotgun with slugs.. but I live in the real world.. often the real Deep-carry required world.
A head shot at 25 yards may not be "too much to ask" from a pocket gun (My tomcat will do it all day long), but it is not at all a requirement.. In fact, as a long time gun carrier, consultant, trainer and LEO I can't think of a scenario that is would be necessary or advised (including Luby's... I really doubt very many people were in a situation which would've required such a shot (25 yards is a long way inside a building.. think about it...)) The young lady who's gun was notoriously out in her car was only a few yards from the shooter most of the time.

I have walked by the Freedom Arms bootha few times, but I am not really "into" thier offerings. I will stop by and check the .45 LC out for you tomorrow if I get a chance.

I agree with you on the .376.. I am not interested. The scout I ordered will be coming in .308 flavor.

The new Freedom Arms 45 LC looks like a 7/8 sized version of the 454. It comes with a 5 1/2" or 7 1/2 bbl" and the sample had their express sights, which I like. If you like the 454 you'll like the 45 LC. On the down side, for the same money you could buy two, maybe three Rugers!

------------------

OB:

I was somewhat smitten today by EAA's imported detachable-mag short-barrelled slide-action 12 gauge. I believe that would be more to your liking? I really preferred the 12 GA Saiga AK, though. I wasn't talking about what I wanted most, or you would have heard words like "Samantha Fox", "Prowler", and "my gadzillions" interspersed with "call my secretary"...

I love carrying my Glock 24, with its 6.02" barrel. The only problem is, (since I weigh in at 138 when I'm fighting trim,) where to put it?

If I had my "druthers", I would carry my Sub-9 (yep, Kel-tec makes it too) slug in African carry 85% of the time. 10% of the time I would carry a Mossberg 500 pistol-grip 12 gauge. At all times, I would complement this with a sidearm, probably my Glock 24. Since this would be a nearly perfect world, occasionally I would substitute a Ruger .45LC Blackhawk for my G24. (The other 5% of the time, I'll be sleeping. ;))

What interests me, obsolete guns and obsolescent people aside, are the practical tools. My P-11 is quite small for a 9mm, but still too large to comfortably carry every day in my work environment. The P-32 will not be. What sells in the modern defensive carry world will often be a blend of the effective and the practical. We all only have so much time, and I will endeavor to use all of it that I do not budget toward socializing on the net with such luminaries as yourself toward practical endeavors. One that I might suggest, just as a matter of scientific interest: you spray a volunteer with CS. Wait thirty seconds. Said volunteer (I can provide a willing pool, at least one a respected forum moderator who likes testing chemicals on himself for effect) will then shoot you with the puny, uneffective, and totally useless .32 you mentioned previously. An impartial panel will then judge to see which has the most effect.

Steve:

Glad to be of service. Seems like a good piece. I will personally go for the parkerized.

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited 02-04-99).]

Well, while it probably didn't get anyone's heart pounding, I thought that one of the most interesting developments was the Para-Ordnance double action. I could not believe how light the trigger pull was! And, I wondered if the design would mean a real threat to Glock's dominance in the LEO market.

Spectre, while I had neither the means nor the access to attend the SHOT show this year I too have been following information on the KT P32. And, I want it. Why? Not because it is a great carry gun. But, because it looks small enough to be carried even when my P11 is too big. I've seen it said many times that the most important thing about the effectiveness of a gun is not the caliber but whether you have it with you when you need it. A 454 Casull might be a great one shot stopper, But who's going to carry one?

I second your nomination. I hope the early popularity doesn't drive the price up or swamp Kel Tec.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

I got a chance to check out that Freedom Arms .45.... I guess I should've figured out what you wanted to now before I went back.

It is a well made, incredibly boring, single action revolver ;). Seriously, It was a nice looking gun, but not my cup of tea. I did find out that they do not plan on offering a field model, nor do they recommend pachmyr grips. I think I was accientaly talking to the president of the company or something, by the funny look he gave me when I asked for his card "in case I wanted to order one."

------------------
-Essayons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back