My favorite RBD long arm

Edmund Rowe

WARNING: I gotta get up on a soapbox and stop being so cordial every now and then, so brace yourselves.

For a Really Bad Day (RBD), I have, love, and recommend a pre-ban AR-15 with fixed A1 stock, 20" or 16" medium or lightweight barrel, A2 sights, GI sling, A2 sights set to large aperture, military or Vortex flash suppressor and 20 round mags.

(Begin chest pounding) This is head and shoulders above the rest the ideal long arm for stopping evildoers. It's balanced well, easy to change mags, great sights, respectable wallop and nasty wounds, easily manipulated selector and cocking handle, negligible muzzle climb or recoil, and general ease of use make it a great friend to have in your hands for a RBD.

(climbing on soapbox) ...NO other rifle/ carbine has the ease of handling as an AR-15. THIS is the one to save your money for. If you have ONE rifle for the future, save up and get one of these. It is truly THE Urban Carbine for the civilian.

(raising voice to the crowd) Stop rationalizing the minimal approach to defensive long arms and get the best! Don't go for what is adequate, get the supreme, the deluxe, the magnifico numero uno! Move to a state where you can legally own such a fine design!

(stomping feet and waving arms) ...Don't go for second best! Be all that you can be! Don't let the good be the enemy of the best!

(foaming at the mouth) ..and after you get one of these, THEN and ONLY then indulge your whims on lesser long arms!

..of course get some training, too.

whew...
Edmund

(waiting for the Battle Hymn of The Republic to end and then...jumping up on the soapbox to make the necessary corrections, before the crowd disperses)

Trash the A1 stock for a metal CAR stock.

Trash the sling and buy a Chalker Rig (That's what I'm doing next month....be like me ;)).

Flip that site back to the way it's 'sposed to be.

Mount a HoloSite on top of the carrying handle, sight it in at 25 yards. Make sure you use a see-through mount so you can use the iron sights for precision or long range.

If you got the 20" barrel.. trade it in for a 16", the more twist the better if you are using surplus ball ammo. If you are going to invest in a thousand rounds of Winchester Ballistic Silver Tip or Corbon HPs, go for the slower twist.

Otherwise, I think Ed was right on. ;)

(btw- If you can't afford one of these, a Mini-14 will be fine, right Ed?)

------------------
-Essayons

Hallealula Brother Edmund,

Say it Brother, you know we all need that good old time religion.

Rob, the holo needs batteries, bad show IMHO.

"Anything you need you need two of"
Clint Smith

Keep the flock on the straight and narrow.

Noel

All due respect to Mr. Murphy, but I've had good luck with the Holo batteries. It is much more efficient than other RDs I've used. I haven't had to change the batteries in either unit in the last year. Only one unit has seen a lot of use. OTOH, I've had to change the batteries in my ESD several times and they have both been used much less.

KISS is fine, but I find the Holo to offer such an advantage over the iron sights in CQB /urban situations that it is worth having to worry about the batteries.

Buying the best is all well and good. However many of us just can't afford it. Even if I had that kind of money there are far more pressing uses for it around my house. Most of us buy the best we can afford and make do with it.

Your word pictures gave me a great laugh. And, your theory makes me feel like I might have a good head on my shoulders.
I have everything but rifles at this point.
So, I have secured three Bushmaster AR's, two 20" and one 26" and I am going to try to buy as many of them as possible before it is too late.
AFTER that, I am hunting for a bolt gun and a camp rifle.

Wow, I almost feel like I know what I am doing, being that I was already doing it, and now everyone tells me it is good.

Ps- is post ban okay?

thaddeus

My personal opinion is that Post-ban is fine for a RBD weapon. Afterall, even on a RRRBD you probably aren't going to find opportunity to use a bayonet, other than that the collapsible stock is nice to have, but certainly not necessary.

Personally, I'm curious about your decision to buy 3 ARs right away. Are you getting them in different calibers? or as back ups?
(I'll let you decide if you want to explain a 26" barrelled AR or not...unless it is one of those .308 match jobbies...)

My suggestion, FWIW, would be to purchase one AR and a good bolt rifle in a heavier calibre first. If you feel like you need a back-up buy a Mini-14 or a Mak-90 in .223 and throw it in the closet. (I've got two SKSs and a couple give-away handguns in case needy friends come by on the RBD)
meanwhile... diversify.

------------------
-Essayons

Man Edmund, you said it. But I am glad I have a Marlin .30-30, and some bolt guns too. 2 Rem. 7s, one .308 and one .223, and Rem. 700 Vrminanter .308 HB- what a tack driver! And some 870s and Mossberg 500s.

Ammo- how much?

Back