My Favorite Range Gun

Chuckoner

Bought this gun from my brother who only put about 100 rounds through it breaking it in, and never he never used it again. He lives in NY and getting to the range isn't easy for him, so He made a tough decision and sold it to me last year. Felt like Sharing since deals like this are few and far between these days.

Rifle is a Remington 700 (308) SPS Tactical with 20" threaded barrel

Scope is Leupold MKIV 4 x 20 (LR/T)

Anyway, he sold me the entire set up with case, and bipod for $750.

Probably the best $750 I ever spent. Got me back into shooting patiently and making shots count rather than making a lot of them.

Other guns shown in photos are my Marlin Golden 39A (First Gun I purchased at 18yo) and my Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Ruger made (recent purchase)

Attachments

• R700-2.jpg
    R700-2.jpg
    744.8 KB · Views: 146
  • R700-5.jpg
    R700-5.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 98
  • R700-1.jpg
    R700-1.jpg
    718 KB · Views: 99
That's a nice combo and a great price. If you figure out what type of ammo it likes best you should be able to shrink the groups considerably.

And it's a 4-20X scope. I don't know of any 4X20 optics.

With fixed power optics you can simply list the magnification with an X behind it. For example, 4X, 10X, 20X etc. If you list the objective size with it that number comes last. If the objective size is 40mm you CAN state that, but it isn't always listed. For example, 4X40, 10X40 or 20X40.

A 4X20 would be a fixed 4X scope with a 20mm front objective. They do make scopes with 20mm objectives. I've seen some 2.5X20 fixed power scopes.

With variable power scopes you list the range of magnification with a dash between them and the X at the end. For example 3-9X, 4-14X, etc. Once again you CAN list objective size, but it isn't always listed.

That would look like 3-9X40 or 4-14X44 etc.

That's a nice combo and a great price. If you figure out what type of ammo it likes best you should be able to shrink the groups considerably.

And it's a 4-20X scope. I don't know of any 4X20 optics.

With fixed power optics you can simply list the magnification with an X behind it. For example, 4X, 10X, 20X etc. If you list the objective size with it that number comes last. If the objective size is 40mm you CAN state that, but it isn't always listed. For example, 4X40, 10X40 or 20X40.

A 4X20 would be a fixed 4X scope with a 20mm front objective. They do make scopes with 20mm objectives. I've seen some 2.5X20 fixed power scopes.

With variable power scopes you list the range of magnification with a dash between them and the X at the end. For example 3-9X, 4-14X, etc. Once again you CAN list objective size, but it isn't always listed.

That would look like 3-9X40 or 4-14X44 etc.
You are correct it is a 6.5-20x MKIV LR/T. Don't think Leupold manufactures it anymore. Thanks for the lesson on how to properly and grammatical describe it. Here to learn
I have shot almost every commercial round from 155-178 gr. Ended up Reloading two diff rounds that it absolutely loves, 155 gr and 168 gr.

I have a 700 SPS in .243. Shoots like a laser beam, 1/2 MOA, with the right ammo. Nice rifles, enjoy.
Yea they are pretty accurate for the price tag. Not my first Bolt gun, but it has definitely sparked a love for longer more relaxed shooting. Can't get enough range time to satiate the itch.

Looks like a good deal . But you can't just have one fun range gun. I usually pair my larger caliber rifles with a favorite 22lr. Then jump to 9mm handgun and back to 22lr handgun. Every range trip needs an equally fun/accurate range friend.

Chuckoner said:
You are correct it is a 6.5-20x MKIV LR/T. Don't think Leupold manufactures it anymore........Ended up Reloading two diff rounds that it absolutely loves, 155 gr and 168 gr.

I think you still have the model wrong, as to my knowledge Leupold never had a 6.5-20 in the MKIV/4 line. I believe based on what you posted it is a VX3I LRP 6.5-20X50.

Welcome to the .308 Win, 155 and 168 grain bullets are what was used for a lot of competitons. It's pretty common that those bullet weights work well in the .308 Win. I wouldn't stop trying other weights as well.

old roper said:
The scope in picture is copy of 6.5-20x MKIV LR/T.

I'll defer to you on this as I found Lepold did make a MKIV LR/T in that power range. I knew they had previously made that power range in the VX3I line. The other reason I was thinking VX3I in LR/P is that scope used white lettering where the gold ring normally is on the objective bell and the MKIV scopes I've been around are blacked out on the objective. However, I'll admit that it's very likely I'm incorrect.

Back