My Experience with Kano Kroil in the Bore

Bayou

Hi, All -

I have two Ruger revolvers in 357 - Security Six and Redhawk. Upon cleaning and brushing each bore with Hoppes, I noticed some residual deposits in each bore. Appeared to be residual small, but numerous, amounts/deposits of lead fouling. I started researching for a good lead solvent to purchase but came across a couple of reports of folks using Kano Kroil to remove lead fouling. Since I had some Kroil in the garage, I gave it a try.

Sprayed some Kroil in each bore and let them set for 20 minutes. Followed by about 10 strokes of a bronze brush followed by a dry patch. In each case, the dry patch came out pretty dirty on the first push, then after that, nothing more.

So, I then used a bore light to examine each bore carefully. The result - absolutely spotless, shiny and bright bores. Couldn't be better.

I've read that Kroil is not a solvent, but rather a penetrant that loosens the deposits so as to allow the brush and patch to remove them.

In any event, the Kano Kroil I had on hand in the garage worked real well for me. Didn't need to buy anything more to do the job............

All the Best -

Bayou

The very best thing for removing lead fouling is a piece of copper Chore Boy scrubbing pad wrapped around a bronze brush. Just make sure it's copper and not copper plated stainless steel.

Auto transmission fluid seems to work that way, too.
A high quality lube that can penetrate the small places of a transmission and is also capable of holding contaminants in suspension.
But having some Kroll on hand seems like a good idea.

Back