My Expensive New Reloading Bench

Swifty Morgan

I've gotten some helpful info on reloading here, so I thought I'd see if I could repay the favor.

I decided to start reloading again, and I wanted to do it indoors. That meant I needed a stand or bench. I didn't want to drill holes in my nice indoor benches. I thought I'd weld something together. But I decided to try a temporary solution.

I had a Rockwell Jawhorse, which is a heavy, awkward device for holding things you're working on. I grabbed a 2 x 8 and hacked two pieces off with a sawzall. I cleaned them up on the band saw, put them together with 4 Tapcons, and drilled two holes for mounting bolts. I had two 1/2" mismatched bolts on hand, so I used them to attach the press.

I was surprised to see that it made an extremely stable platform. It doesn't mar the floor, either. I plan to keep using it, although I might redo it with nicer wood.

I'll post some photos.

The bottom piece is long because it makes the whole thing more resistant to rotation in the Jawhorse. The long top piece makes a good place to set things or bang with a bullet puller. I'm probably going to screw a tray to it.

This worked out fantastic. Takes about 20 minutes to make this, and it's 100% scrap. Maybe someone else here will be able to use it.

I don't know if I would recommend buying a Jawhorse or Harbor Freight knockoff if you don't already have one. They're very useful sometimes, but they are heavy and usually in the way.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse small.jpg
    04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse small.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 585
  • 04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse Close Up small.jpg
    04 19 20 Hornady Lock n Load on Jawhorse Close Up small.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 586
Nice reloading bench! I was looking at the “jaw horse.” I have not seen that before. That will be on my shopping list. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
HF has a clone which is supposedly the same thing for $130. Don't know if coupons work.

I used to use a homemade wooden bench that probably weighed 300 pounds, and the Jawhorse is much steadier.

I've got my 3 presses mounted onto boards with a lip on them so that the edge of the workbench takes most of the pressure of the press.

Those mounting plates are drilled out for bolts to ride in Rockler T-channel sunk into my bench.

Attachments

• pressmount1.jpg
    pressmount1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 63
My first reloading bench was a first generation Black and Decker Workmate. I used C clamps to attach my Hornady Lock n Load press so it was portable. Served me well until we moved to our current house where I could build a real bench.

A problem has finally surfaced. I am using Wolf primers and new brass, and seating these things takes a shove. The Jawhorse slides backward gradually unless I brace the press with my left hand while depressing the lever.

I think a mat would fix it.

Back