My dialogue with Bob Musil

Mort

I have recently begun an e-mail correspondance with Dr. Robert Musil, director of Physicians for Social Responsibility. I thought that perhaps it might interest some of you guys and let you know how anti-gun activists think. For those of you unfamiliar with these fellows, here is where they stand:

http://www.psrus.org/violence.htm

Now, this got under my skin, so I fired this off to Bob Musil:

Hello, I just found your page and would like to comment. I understand that you are busy people, but a response would be truly appreciated. If you cannot manage a personal response, I hope that you will read this and consider the questions posed.
I saw your 4/6/98 press release regarding President Clinton's assault weapon ban. You praise the ban, stating that "Assault weapons with large capacity magazines are good for one thing only -- killing as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time." Your press release goes on to say "Removing guns from the home and requiring child safety locks on guns are also key elements of an effective public health strategy to address this crucial issue."
I believe that there are several things wrong with these statements. First, I suspect that you may not have a great deal of familiarity with firearms. Though the weapons banned by the President are often referred to as "assault weapons", this terminology is actually incorrect. A true assault weapon is fully automatic; that is, one can empty the magazine with a single press on the trigger. Such weapons have been heavily regulated by state and federal laws for 65 years. It is extremely difficult for anyone to purchase them, and it is basically impossible for felons to do so legally. The weapons in President Clinton's ban are semi-automatic; they require the trigger to be pressed each time a single shot is to be fired. Such weapons have many purposes. They are actually rather ineffective at "killing as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time." Such tasks are best left to fully automatic weapons, which are very difficult to get, as is explained above.
Furthermore, it seems unlikely that Clinton's ban will fight crime. Hundreds of thousands of these semiautomatic weapons are currently in the United States; the ban only restricts their import, not the sale of existing weapons. Indeed, even if such weapons were entirely banned tomorrow, criminals, the target of such legislation, would undoubtedly retain their guns -- and continue to use them.
Concerning your reference to guns in the home, there are statistics that counter the statistics given on your web page; for example, did you know that in the event of a home invasion, the safest possible way to respond is by brandishing a firearm? This response has been proven to be even safer than offering no resistance whatsoever. The FBI states that "In 1992, approximately 78% of murder victims were killed by someone they knew." While this is technically true, the bulk of these cases were not friends shooting friends, or families shooting each other; rather, most of these shooting incidents could be described as criminals killing criminal associates, often over rip-offs in drug deals or the like.
While gun safety is of utmost importance, the banning of firearms is inconsequential in fighting crime, and possibly even dangerous to law-abiding citizens. I would like to hear your response, and would also be interested in hearing more about why you support such laws.

Regards,
Frank L. Jones Jr.

To my surprise, Musil responded almost immediately:

I suspect we're not going to convince each other easily and I don't have
much time. I did appreciate the thoughtful quality of your e-mail since
I get lots of crude hate mail from gun nuts. I just finished a book you
may like by Tom Diaz called Making a Killing: The Business of Guns in
America (New Press, 1999). It outlines the problem pretty well.

Bob Musil

I thanked him for the prompt reply and indicated that I would read Diaz' book. Today, I got another message from him, presumably written when he had a little more time on his hands:

Frank,

Some basic questions for us both to look at. How can huge numbers of gun deaths and injuries be reduced? Does our approach as public health problem make any sense, that is, are some restrictions on guns (availability, licensing, safety, etc. at all reasonable? We obviously believe that markets cannot be totally unfettered and that a democratic society can pass reasonable regulations, restrictions, etc. as we do for many consumer products. Diaz, as you will see, outlines fairly convincingly I think, that manufacturers are just after more and more sales, regardless of the consequences. Let me know sometime what you think. I will not be able to reply quickly all the time since I get a zillion e-mails and need to run this underfunded, struggling do-gooder conspiracy.

Bob

I didn't know where to begin with this one, but I did:

Dr. Musil,

I realize that it sounds paranoid and reactionary, and I'm sure you have heard it a dozen times before, but many gun owners and activists (myself included) believe that gun restrictions like the ones you mention above are the first step in an agenda to eventually take the right to private firearm ownership away from the people. Gun accidents are tragic and preventable, but I believe that education regarding safety - on an individual level - is the best way to approach the problem, rather than more legislation aimed at gun manufacturers.

While I look for Diaz' book this weekend, may I suggest that you go to the nearest newsstand and spend $20 or so on every gun magazine you can find on the rack: Guns & Ammo, Guns, American Handgunner, Handguns, Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement, and whatever else catches your eye. First, flip through them and look at the advertisments. You will see ads for Glock, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Colt, Kahr, and a few other, less recognizable names. I bet that you will be able to identify a theme: reliability. Nobody wants a gun that doesn't work. All of these guns work superbly and as intended, and with a little knowledge about safe handling, will not kill anything that the user didn't want dead.

Then, if you have the time, move from the ads to the articles. You will see product reviews, comparisons of different types of guns, and information about how to use guns effectively. You will learn a lot about correct firearm nomenclature, as I have. These writers are not part of a vast conspiracy; they represent what real gun owners and users think. If they have an agenda, they tell you about it.

Finally, talk for a minute to your local chief of police. He'll talk to you; you're the leader of an important "do-gooder conspiracy". Note the type of pistol that his department issues. I am betting that it is a high-capacity autoloader, like a Beretta, Glock, Sig Sauer, or Smith & Wesson. Ask the chief why his department switched from revolvers to high-capacity pistols. I am again betting that he will tell you that they switched so that they wouldn't be underarmed against today's criminals. Today's professional criminals (drug dealers, armed robbers, home invaders) like to have good weapons. They do not carry "junk guns": they view them with the same disdain that most law-abiding gun owners do.

It seems that taking aim at "junk guns" is trying to treat the symptoms, not the disease. Who buys cheap guns like Lorcin, Raven, and Hi-Point? Two words: Poor Folk. Where do these poor folk live? They live in the inner city. To me, it appears that a real way to help the problem of crime is to focus on the places where crime occurs, not the tools used to carry it out. For proof of this, look to America's prisons. There are no guns in prison, only criminals. Yet crime in prisons is rampant. This shows the resourcefulness of man; when no better tools are available, he will make do. When no guns, be they assault rifles or "junk guns", are available, criminals will make do with a shiv made from a toothbrush. If guns are banned, this fact will be corroborated on the streets of our nation.

Indeed, it already is corroborated; anti-gun activists often tout the low rate of gun deaths in nations with strict gun control. Yet, take away our firearm deaths, and we still have more violent deaths by other means - knives, blunt weapons, bare hands - than these other nations have. I freely own that the United States is a violent nation, but I submit that this is not particularly related to the proliferation of firearms - or of any kind of weapon.

Frank Jones

I apologize for the length of this. Stay tuned for updates.

Like, WOW!

Nice work, Mort, best of luck in keeping the dialog going. This is exactly the kind of measured, reasoned response, that serves us all well.

My hat's off to you. M2

Mort, I agree with Mike - bravo! While I disagree heartily with Bob Musil's perspective, I find it encouraging that at least he sounds as though he is willing to have a logical discussion. The usual impression I get of groups like his is that they are lying fools who will use any and all means, ethical and unethical, to spread their anti-gun manure.

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a thread with such a fellow right here on TFL? I wouldn't want too many of these folks mucking up the works, but I am confident enough of our logic and facts that we could at least open their eyes a bit. Or, perhaps I am just getting tired, and should go home now ....? ;)

Mort well said and be sure to keep us posted will be a very interesting post to read,one of the things that brothered me was the good doctor calling someone a "gun nut" how would he like it for someone to call him a QUACK?
Did you invite him to visit TFL?
------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

[This message has been edited by Flyerm14 (edited 02-05-99).]

Mort-
You've both set an extraordinary example! Could it be possible that the two sides of this debate can actually come together to discuss it *rationally*?

If or when you think it appropriate, please extend the following invitation to Dr.Musil:

-If he wishes to develop his position, we invite him to host a separate Forum on The Firing Line.
-He can choose the Forum name and description.
-He (or you) can Moderate it, with full privileges to close, edit and delete posts.

Perhaps Jeff Cooper was correct when he stated <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It would seem that when backlash faces backlash, we have polarization. When we have polarization there is little room for discussion. Much as we might like to reason together, this serves no purpose when our adversary has already made up his mind, with or without reason. Thus the nation faces a crisis unprecedented since 1861. Since there is little point in argument we must fall back on prayer.[/quote]

Perhaps not.

I encourage Dr. Musil to explore this opportunity with us and pledge our support in keeping the exchange free of vitriole and flame. Hell, last I checked, I still held a Masters in Public Health from Johns Hopkins....I'd love to rationally discuss the appropriate extent of the "public health' umbrella with him.

Having tried to start a similarly civil discussion on Usenet, I applaud the effort. I have just added a lin kto the firing line from my site.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

Mort; Youhave opened an entirely new approach-Reason with them.
I have usually generalized that there is no sense trying to reason with someone who has an unreasonable position.
The odds are that you will not change his mind but I sincerely applaud your attempt.
Please keep us posted.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Good for you Mort! I think there are a couple of lessons here for all of us. First a reasoned dialogue is much more effective and impressive than a screaming out your anger (in email or in person). Second that we can't assume everyone who proposes gun control does so because they want to enslave the masses, they can be dealt with as people with diffent opinions than ours.

I wonder if Dr. Musil has read the works of Kleck, Kopel and Lott? After all a complete discussion of guns has to acknowledge the benefits of firearms in protection as you stated in you email mentioning home invasions.

When people tell me that we have to come up with a way to reduce "gun deaths". I have to wonder if they mean gun death as some kind of special killing worse than all others. In other words if in a given city 100 people were murdered in say 1995 and 70 of those murders were committed with firearms, would they consider it a step forward if after passing gun control laws in 1996 120 people were killed but only 20 with firearms? Will those who kill with firearms only consider firearms as means, or are there many means available for homicide and the use of firearms simply represents a preference. What is *required* to commit murder ... a gun? I would argue that it is motivation that is required, the weapon can be one of many things, and if this is true than we can expect that controlling access to guns will have little effect on murder if the motivation remains the same. Many european cities in the 13th and 14th centuries had murder rates higher than *any* 20th century american city yet gun control was complete and absolute as guns were so early in there development that they were only practical as clumsy breeching instruments. The weapons of choice were swords, knives, bludgeons and fists. The culture was one where the slightest insult might result in a fight to the death (very similiar to today's gang culture) and families engaged in blood feuds (today's analogy might be feuds between rival neighborhood gangs). Lots of motivation and no guns at all ... the result was carnage.

IMO people who expect to find the answer to why people kill other people by examining the workings of a metallic mechanical device present a model of violence that is fundamentally flawed.

=rod=

Rational discussion is preferable to blood in the streets, so long as it leads to a worthy goal.

OTOH, regardless of the worthiness of their goals, if others insist serving those who would enslave us, we must discuss, we must educate, we must entreat, but we dare not retreat.

Rod,
I agree, "...we can't assume everyone who proposes gun control does so because they want to enslave the masses, they can be dealt with as people with diffent opinions than ours...."

But they must learn where their lofty goals have led in every civilization known to man. Even the most benevolent rulers beget eventual tyranny.

We must block the path that leads to the destruction of our future. We must "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity." And we must "do it for the children!"

Wow, a civil exchange of idea's. Un-common in todays world of sound bites and rhetoric. I do believe there is middle ground in everything. Gives me hope that there is a solution that reduces criminal violence and up-holds our right to defend ourselves.

As far as him talking about "I get lots of crude hate mail from gun nuts", I have no problem with him calling the fringe/extremist element gun nuts. He does not seem to be stereotyping everyone who is for guns as a gun nut.

Peace,
Keith

Thanks, Mort, and great idea, Rich!

I've wondered for some time how we might get some intelligent antis on this board to spice up the "Pro v. Anti" debates. Dr Musil would be a good choice, as he is head of an organization which has taken an 'Anti' position.

Maybe we could get Sarah Brady her own forum?

-boing

P.S.- Happy Birthday, Sarah! I bought a hundred rounds of 12 gauge for the occasion, but it's raining. Guess I'll have to celebrate tomorrow...

Thanks, everyone. I have to admit, I was expecting a reprimand for my long post. I just checked my mail and there is nothing new from Dr. Musil, but it's the weekend. I did think of encouraging him to visit TFL, but a couple of things stopped me. First, I'm still not sure about Musil's intentions. Second, I wasn't sure if you would appreciate a flood of anti-gun sentiment on TFL (I have now laid this question to rest - it's obvious you are raring to go). Finally, there are a few posts on TFL that could be frightening to the uninitiated. However, these concerns really don't bother me anymore, and I'll refer him here if he responds to my latest e-mail. After all, he's grown and can think for himself. Let me warn you, though: there is a potential for bad media exposure here. I'm game...

Mort...

My kudos and admiration is added. I second Rich's invititation to Dr. Musil to come here in any capacity he chooses.

As for your reprimand expectations, I have not deleted a thread or a post yet. The only
reasons I would, would be for the well known reasons of rules violation....certainly not for the length of a post. All of our members have conducted themselves with the utmost in decorum and civility in these extremely emotional and important issues. I am extremely appreciative of the high caliber (obligatory gun content ;)) of the Members of TFL. Never ever worry about the length of your posts.
****************************************]
Addendum: As for bad media exposure, anti-gun folks trashing this forum, etc. This is still America, and the 1st Amendment works for all sides of an issue. At least we do participate in cross dialog; unlike HCI who does not publish their e-mail address, engage in debate or any other exchange of ideas. Only cowards, tyrants and the corrupt hide in the bunker and issue edicts.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

[This message has been edited by DC (edited 02-07-99).]

Well, some time went by since my last message to Dr. Musil and he hadn't replied. I sent a brief message yesterday:

Dr. Musil;

Hello, this is Frank Jones again. I was wondering if you had gotten my last two e-mails (my response to your questions, and the e-mail concerning The Firing Line). I have enjoyed talking with you and would like to continue. I know that you are bombarded with e-mail, and I am content to wait quite a while for a response.

Frank Jones

Apparently, Musil hasn't forgotten me; today I recieved this message:

I think I did and replied, except for a recent one offering to have me
moderate a discussion. I was indeed honored or flattered or both, but I
will have to decline the honor since I really can barely keep up with
the many coalitions, list serves, internal, external and international
emails I deal with.

I will be glad, however, to continue some dialogue on the issue with you
when possible. What, for example, do you think of the recent finding
against some, but not all, gun manufacturers for flooding the market
despite clear knowledge that their guns would end up in the wrong hands?
Do you think any corporation can be sued for negligence (despite I
suspect, our mutual concern with trial lawyers and an increasingly
litigious society)?

Best,

Bob Musil

This is my response:

Dr. Musil;

Actually, the last I heard from you was your second e-mail, in which you talked about your approach to gun control as a public health problem. I replied, but hadn't heard from you until now. Perhaps an e-mail got lost in transit, yours or mine, I don't know. Thank you for your reply concerning the position of moderator; I didn't really think you would be able to accept it, but we thought that we would extend the invitation anyway. Have you taken a moment to visit http://www.thefiringline.com? I think you would find it a very valuable experience. I am always interested in what makes gun control advocates "tick"; I expect that you often wonder the same about gun control opponents. In particular, may I recommend the "Legal and Political" forum, though everything on the site is highly informative.

On to your question. The cases against gun manufacturers by certain cities of late is a source of great anxiety for us gun types; we view them as farcical perversions of justice that, nevertheless, may deprive us of some of our rights. It cannot really be argued that gun manufacturers can be held in any way liable or responsible for criminal trends or individual shooting mishaps. To argue that Colt, Glock, Calico or even Sundance are behind urban weapons proliferation seems as absurd as suggesting that car manufacturers are responsible for drunk drivers owning cars or that a bridge builder is responsible for the lives of people who leap from the bridge or fall off of it while inebriated. A gun is a tool. A gun manufacturer is a maker of tools. If their product works as advertised, the potential for liability concerning negligence ends there. If a dealer sells weapons illegally, that dealer should be prosecuted. If a "straw man" purchases guns for criminals, he should be prosecuted. If a gun manufacturer makes as many guns as they can sell, they should not be prosecuted; guns are legal to buy and own, and supply and demand is the way our commercial system works. You cannot regulate drunk driving by the restriction of cars, and you cannot restrict crime by the regulation of guns.

What do you think about this subject? I eagerly anticipate your reply and hope that you find some time to visit The Firing Line.

Frank Jones

[This message has been edited by Mort (edited February 17, 1999).]

Mort, I admire your prose. Glad you are the current 'spokesman' in this situation.

Another point re: the 'flooding the market' issue - by their relentless assault on the RKBA, I am sure that many gun owners are stocking up on the weapons and ammo they believe they may want to own. An over-reaction, perhaps. Nevertheless, as more attacks are made by the anti-gunners, there is some logic to acquiring desired weapons before it becomes illegal and / or more expensive.

If the anti-self defense people were successful in banning guns, do they really think that the smuggling of guns into illegal jurisdictions would stop? They should re-read the history of Prohibition. Of course, that would require a brief foray out of their liberal netherworld ... ;)

Mort:
Keep up the very fine work.
Stay safe.
John

------------------
Keep the Faith and the Constitution

Back