My day at the range! Pics!

Phantom Captain

Hi all,

Thought I too would share my day at the range today! Dad came out with me and brought a special treat which I will show at the end of the post! :)

First off, after browsing these boards for awhile I was tempted into making a new purchase after seeing O.S.O.K.'s new 58. This is an Uberti Stainless New Model Army 58 .44! She's real pretty.

IMG_0882.jpg

These are the three cap and ball sixguns I shot today. The Uberti Remington 58, Pietta 1860 Colt Army, Uberti 1850 2nd Model Dragoon. I did bring my Springfield (of course!) and put a few through it as well.

I used mostly Pyrodex P but Dad did have some Holy Black laying around so I played with different loads as the day went on although in the new 58 I only used Goex 3fffg.

IMG_0873.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Here are the 10 and 25 yard targets. I did shoot both with the revolvers but concentrated more on the 10 yard.

IMG_0883.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0876.jpg

Pietta 1860 Colt Army, 10yds offhand, 30grains Pyrodex P and a wonder wad, .454 Hornady balls, #11 CCI caps. I replaced the nipples on this one with Thunder Ridge brand nipples and must say I really like them. #11 caps fit perfect and every single one went off without a hitch. I shot 48 rounds through the Army. I really think I'm going to get replacements as well for my Dragoon and Remington.

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Uberti Remington New Modely Army, 10yds offhand, 30grains Goex 3fffg and a wonder wad, .457 Speer balls, #10 Remington caps. Totally different feel and aim from the Colts. I think I'm starting to get used to it.

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

All my cap and ball.

IMG_0915.jpg

Last edited:
Uberti 2nd Model Dragoon, 10yds offhand, 50grains Goex 3fffg, .457 Speer ball with a wonder wad. #10 Remington caps.

IMG_0905.jpg

Ok, finally, Dad has brought with his finished Hawken .54 that he built. It had only been fired twice off his back porch into the woods just to get a feel so this was the first time out. She's a REAL beauty in my opinion and what an incredible shooter. I LOVE the double set triggers and the hair trigger is superb. I'm really looking forward to sitting down with this one on the 50 and 100 yard and see what she can do!

IMG_0886.jpg

Hawkenadjusted.jpg

Hawken .54, 25yds offhand, 60grains Goex 3fffg, .530 ball with a spit patch and #11 CCI caps. First shot was the high left, 2nd was low, then I got it figured, :) . Dad's shot on this target was the one just left of the Bull!

IMG_0894.jpg

Last edited:
Hey great!

Excellent pics! Good shootin too :D

Did you have a partner with you are does the camera have a timer?

Thanks for posting!

shooting partner

Hey, that's great - always good to shoot wtih Dad or your kids. My Dad is in Florida and I don't get to shoot with him very often. I do shoot with my kids though - in fact, we shot this past weekend on a boyscout campout - we were doing a rifle merit badge :)

Back