My Colt Python has an ATF serial #

phenson

Inactive
Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but if not, I apologize.
I picked up a nice 97-98% blue 6" python from an individual a couple of weeks ago. I didn't look at the serial # till I got home and got curious about the manufacture date. I have determined that the serial # is one that has been assigned by the ATF when the original serial # has been destroyed on the gun. I have already called Colt. They couldn't help me because this number is not in their data base. I called the ATF hesitantly. I was passed off 7 or 8 times. I never talked to anyone who had a clue. What makes me really curious is the fact that I can see no damage on this gun where the original serial # would be. The gun is not refinished. The ATF serial number is on the frame inside where the crane swings open just like the original. I am wondering if anyone knows who I could contact who would be able to track down why this gun has this serial # instead of the original Colt number or ultimately give me some history on the gun.
Thanks,
PH

All manuf. make sterile guns for govment types, it could easily be one of these that a govment employee got registered, could be a sterile gun that got re-imported. Could be a re-finish that you just can't tell the difference.

phenson Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but if not, I apologize.
I picked up a nice 97-98% blue 6" python from an individual a couple of weeks ago. I didn't look at the serial # till I got home and got curious about the manufacture date. I have determined that the serial # is one that has been assigned by the ATF when the original serial # has been destroyed on the gun. I have already called Colt. They couldn't help me because this number is not in their data base. I called the ATF hesitantly. I was passed off 7 or 8 times. I never talked to anyone who had a clue. What makes me really curious is the fact that I can see no damage on this gun where the original serial # would be. The gun is not refinished. The ATF serial number is on the frame inside where the crane swings open just like the original. I am wondering if anyone knows who I could contact who would be able to track down why this gun has this serial # instead of the original Colt number or ultimately give me some history on the gun.
Thanks,
PH

You need to post pics on the Colt forum http://www.coltforum.com/forums/

Back