My CCW license arrived! 43days in GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason F

I did the math two nights ago, and figured I still had another 4-5 week wait till it would arrive.... got a nice little surprise today in the mail! :)

BTW, I applied from Gwinnett county.

Same day in GA?

I don't think that was GA that Absolum was talking about... unless it was a renewal or new card for an existing approved licensee.

GA law dictates a GBI & FBI background check....neither of which are instantaneous. Unless there's a county that's hooked directly in to those offices and runs the check while you wait, but by the way the paperwork looked, at least to me, both of the fingerprint cards (for background check) go off in the mail to those agencies.

Maybe Absolum knows something we don't??

I don't know the validity of the statement, but I've been told that Gwinnett county doesn't really like issuing CCW permits, and takes as long as they legally can to issue them, to the point of holding the license and not mailing it out even if the processing is done. I obtained my permit in Walton County, and it took a little under two weeks (that was probably how long the background check took), and my father (in the same county) got his in about a week. The law states that, unless the FBI background check pulls up something that would make you ineligible (basically, the same kind of things that would make buying a gun illegal), they must issue the permits, but some counties make it easier than others.

Gwinnett seemed fine to me

Well, my Gwinnett experience was just fine. The lady in the probate court office didn't bat an eye when I told her I wanted a firearms license. Everything went smoothly. They gave me explicit directions to the fingerprinting place around the corner, and the ladies there were very nice as well. I'll admit, they were mildly short with a couple immigrants trying to get work papers, but there were some language difficulties, and apparently one of them had been in several times that week trying to get papers, but never brought the needed documentation with her... So I guess to say, if you've got all your ducks in a row and you're nice to 'em, they're nice back and happy to help. At least they were for me.

I don't know the validity of the statement, but I've been told that Gwinnett county doesn't really like issuing CCW permits, and takes as long as they legally can to issue them, to the point of holding the license and not mailing it out even if the processing is done..... but some counties make it easier than others.

One Day CCW license in GA

Well, when it came time for me to get my CCW license it was a same day process for me.

Somehow I was off from work on a Monday and decided to get my license that day. Drove uptown to the Judge's Office and made the request and filled out the application. The ladies at the Judge's Office ask me to carry my application and the applications from the previous Friday to the Sheriff's Office.

I carried all the applications to the Sheriff's Office and as he was returning from lunch, I left them with his secretary while I walked over to the jail for fingerprinting. Took a little while at the jail and finally they carried me back to the room where they took the fingerprinting, stared at a few inmates on the way back. They took my fingerprints and we chit-chatted about guns, and I returned to the Sheriff's Office where the secretary handed me back the applications and ask me to carry them back to the Judge's Office.

Made it back to the Judge's Office and the Ladies there sorted through the applications and found mine. They printed up my CCW license, laminated it, and handed it to me on the spot; same day service.

I don't know if it matters that I applied in the same county where I was born and lived most of my life, but it was nice taking about 3 - 4 hours total time that day and having my new CCW in my wallet.

Great!
Now, get out there and draft some more like you into our fold!

Gary in Vermont....you got braggin' rights.

:)

No problems here in Cobb County either. Everyone carries a gun around here anyways, at least in the western side of Cobb (Kennesaw). I got my CCW over a year ago, but I do recall it took around 3 months.....

86 days and counting... :(

And it doesn't help that Texas was declared by the media this week as the state with the worst NICS record! Criminals are falling through the cracks like roaches in a waterlogged mountain cabin it seems.

And who pays the price in lag time? :mad:

CCW

Mine took about 4 months in Fulton county. THey had to fingerprint me twice the lady didn't know what she was doing the first time. The trend seems to be the smaller the county the faster you get your permit. They had no problem with me getting mine although at the police station they asked a bunch of questions, like why do you need this etc, it was annoying but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back