My BP Pistol

Joel Harmon

Help! I am having a small problem with my Army .44 cal cap and ball six shooter. This gun is one of the Italian reproductions of an 1850's (I think) model pistol. I didn't bring it to work with me (that is where I am typing this) so I don't remember exactly what it said on the barrel but I think the brand is something like "Armi San Breshci". I know it's one of the most famous Italian BP firearms reproducers out there.

I took it apart to clean it and it requires the removal of screws to take off the various parts. After removing and scrubbing everything down I put it back together but I can't figure out how to get the trigger back in there. I now realize I shouldn't have taken the screw out that held the trigger in. The trigger is one solid, shaped metal piece with a hole in it to accept said screw. When I try to place the trigger in the housing it looks as though the trigger is going up in the housing far enough for me to put the screw through the frame, then through the trigger, and back through the other side of the frame. However the trigger is loose after I screw the screw down and the hammer won't stay back when I try and cock it. The hammer just falls all the way forward when pulled back to it's fullest extension.

When I loosened the screw and pulled it out a little ways (when I originally broke it down) the trigger just fell out. There was no tension or anything on the trigger. I am assuming that I can put this trigger back in the gun but I need to know the trick in getting it in there so it "catches" the parts it needs in order to cycle correctly. Apparently I am not doing it correctly because I can't cock the gun when I put it in. I took it to two gunsmiths and they want to charge me upwards of $80! I know this is something simple because the damn trigger just fell out when I took the screw out. I just need to know the magic trick to get it back in there. Do I need to have the hammer back? Do I need to pray to some gods while I hold the gun upside down? I know there is a trick to getting that trigger in!

Does anyone know of any good BP forums like Firing Line only for BP shooters?

Thanks,

Joel

The only trick to installing the trigger is its too easy :)

Do you have the cylinder locking bolt in yet? The trigger only takes up half the available space and it is possible to put the trigger on the wrong "side" where it does not contact the hammer.

Putting the bolt in first will quickly show you where the trigger goes.

Look at the trigger guard, notice that the hole for the trigger is offset slightly, that is the side where the trigger is supposed to be.

Jim

Both the trigger and the cylinder locking bolt are powered by a split flat spring that is held in by a screw at the front of the hole in the frame.

There is a short sort of bent arm on the spring; that side powers the bolt. The longer flatter arm powers the trigger. It sounds like you lost that spring, so the trigger just flops around. I think once you have the spring, you will see how it goes in. Parts for a Uberti should be available from Navy Arms or Cimarron.

Jim

I think you probably have an Armi San Marco revolver. The only Colt with an 1850's name (that I'm familiar with) is the 1851 navy. No matter what Colt you have (the patterson is the exception) the trigger should go in the same way. After the hammer and hand the cylinder bolt should go in first, than the trigger, than the spring which contacts both the cylinder bolt; as well as, the trigger.

There are several good books that show the reassembly of the colt pistols and one would be a good reference for you if you want to continue to dismantle these pistols (a really good idea when you start shooting them since fouling gets into the mechanisim).

Thanks for all the help guys. I took it to a friend this weekend that is very well versed in anything mechanical and electronic. This guy could be a better gunsmith than most of the smiths I know and he doesn't really know much about it!

My main problem with the gun was that I couldn't get the trigger guard off. There is one single screw that holds that on and the damn thing was locked tight down. Even a gunsmith that looked at it couldn't get the screw out. He said that "it must have locktite holding it in there". My friend has this method of getting screws out that are stuck. He Pushes the screw driver into the screw to make sure it's in as far as it can go and won't jump out of the screw head. At the same time he jerks the screwdriver to the left, loosening the screw. He says this imitates an impact screwdriver and always works. After that it was a matter of placing an arm extending from the trigger under a small spring and then screwing it down. Problem solved!

Thanks,

Joel

Back