My best grownup Christmas yet.

mattL46

Well dad pulled a good one on me. The adults in our family generally exchange gifts. Usually its us four boys giving to our mom and dad, and they usually give us a little bit of money. This year however was much different. There was a long gun shaped package waiting for. Me when we took the kids over for Xmas dinner. We don't and never have exchanged guns so I just assumed it was a decent case. Gift time rolled around it was lugged over to me. I positioned it to open it and thought it was awfully heavy. Anyhow with some help I extracted an SKB industries rifle case. I assumed correctly. However ive never owned one so again assumed all of that weight was in the super duty of a case. Opened it up. I was wrong and speechless. Inside was his fathers near perfect Winchester model 52-D. I was honestly, literally speechless. Just staring. Nearly had a tear in my eye. Think its safe to say he did too.
He said quote "It was one of my dads favorite rifles. I dreamed of having it like you do. he said i could have it when he was dead, and he meant it. I dont guess I see the sense in that. What do you think?" I had to compose myself and make sure he knew how much i cared. It was a great Christmas. One I'll never forget. Merry Christmas Firing line.

Thank you path finder. I appreciate your appreciation. I will cherish it. So will my kids. I still can't believe its sitting here staring at me. Thank you again sir for taking the time to read.

That's awesome....priceless....
Merry christmas..

After years in dads safe, he told me to go ahead and shoot the 6mm custom mauser varmint he had built before I was born.. his presses were unused for 50 years, he told me to go ahead and take them, and get some use and enjoyment out of them..along with the components he had..

I enjoy range trips with him, and when he shoots something he has not shot in years, and says " I forgot how nice this was and how much I used to enjoy it"
Its priceless... I only wish we could have had that experience many years earlier, and he could have passed that knowledge down to me..

I'll dust off his varmint rig, work some loads up, and put him behind it next range trip..
It will bring a smile to him.. the rifle had a few issues, but they are resolved now..

Thanks for sharing..

That's great. I imagine some day similar will happen to me but I know I could ask to borrow anything of my dads. One thing I did was ask him about every gun of sentimental value and record the stories of when, where, who and how so the history can go on.

It's something to think about.

Thank you gentleman. Just as soon as I can get coffee made I'm gonna go put it on some paper. Shot it several years ago and it was stupid accurate. Sure love those red field sights.

Definitely a keeper!

I remember as a kid the great debate between Winchester 52 rifles and Anschutz 54 rifles. The Winchesters seemed to hold the edge at Camp Perry and the Anschutz at the Olympics.

Looked real hard at the Anschutz 54 but it was $350 which was too much.

Enjoy!

Are those Redfield Olympic sights?

Well you can see I'm uneducated on all of the red field sights by my above post. Correction they are not "Olympic" but "international" thought they were one and the same but alas they aren't.

My grandpa and his 10 siblings learned to shoot, instructed by my Sgt. Major great grandfather, with a Mdl 52.

Supposedly it's still in the family somewhere. If I were to unwrap it at Christmas someday I would lose my mind.

Back