My best deal on a new revolver ever?

Best deal on a new revolver ever?

I recently purchased a new Taurus M85 from Palmetto State Armory. It's a standard blued, all steel frame for $199.99. Taurus is running a promotional rebate for 40% off on all their 85 series revolvers, bringing down the total to $149.99.

On top of that, I applied and received a new NRA credit card. I will receive a $40 statement credit on a first purchase using that card which, of course, I used to buy the Taurus, plus 0% APR for the first six billing cycles plus the representative said I will also get 5% back on sporting goods purchases but I don't know if that last one applies to firearms or items outside the NRA store or not.

After shipping and FFL transfer fees I should come out paying about $155.00, maybe $10 less if that 5% back applies. I couldn't even get a new Taurus TCP for that price right now and even if I could it wouldn't be on a comparable level as an M85.

Say what you want about Taurus, but this is an unbeatable deal on a new concealed carry revolver. I don't think it's possible I will ever get anything that is comparable at that price.

Alternatively, you could spend $20 more and get the Ultra-Lite model, still a great deal.

http://http://palmettostatearmory.com/taurus-pistol-model-85-2-blue-38spl-2-850021fs-85b2fs.html

Last edited:
It's always been one of their better handguns. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 85s are pretty well thought of, and the price is undeniably excellent. Good job!
Not a good job on my part really, just good timing and luck. Everything just fell into place to get a really great deal on a new revolver.

Sadly, not many get excited about Taurus revolvers though, even when they are almost giving them away.

Last edited:
They've caught my eye. I tend to be the type that likes to see for myself. Of course if/when I'm wrong, I'm open to the obligatory "I told you so".

I'm looking for a 357 magnum after a close encounter with a bear while fishing with my 6 year old. The Taurus models are up there on the list.

They've caught my eye. I tend to be the type that likes to see for myself. Of course if/when I'm wrong, I'm open to the obligatory "I told you so".

I'm looking for a 357 magnum after a close encounter with a bear while fishing with my 6 year old. The Taurus models are up there on the list.
At that price I think I can take the chance of buying one blindly online. Taurus has a lifetime warranty. If there is an issue with it I will take it back until they make it right.

Last edited:
I agree. I don't have any taurus firearms yet although several models have been on my radar. What I mean is, I won't hate on a taurus unless I have a bad experience 1st hand.

I repeat what I have said before - a good Taurus (the majority) is as good as any equivalent gun made anywhere, any time. A bad one (a troublesome few) is a PITA and dangerous to depend on.

I can go though a showcase of Taurus revolvers and auto pistols and pick out the good ones (or the bummers, whichever way you want to put it) but few new buyers have the experience to do that. For that reason, I don't argue with anyone on Taurus quality. I do say that good revolvers are like snowy days - you get a lot higher percentage in New England than in Brazil.

Jim

I repeat what I have said before - a good Taurus (the majority) is as good as any equivalent gun made anywhere, any time. A bad one (a troublesome few) is a PITA and dangerous to depend on.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but they can be good. I like their revolvers, not so much their semi-autos. Still, I would rather have a Taurus semi-auto any day over a Bersa, Hi-Point, Diamondback, Jimenez, etc. Then again, I'm more of a revolver guy anyway so I'm a bit biased. They are not Smiths, Rugers or Colts for sure but they're just as good if not better then anything Charter Arms or any other sub-prime revolver producer on the planet is putting out.

I can go though a showcase of Taurus revolvers and auto pistols and pick out the good ones (or the bummers, whichever way you want to put it) but few new buyers have the experience to do that. For that reason, I don't argue with anyone on Taurus quality. I do say that good revolvers are like snowy days - you get a lot higher percentage in New England than in Brazil.
Agreed. Taurus quality can be spotty. I've picked up some that had warped ejector rods, crude workmanship and lousy, gritty triggers and others that looked fine and felt good with nice, smooth triggers. I guess it depends on who was on the bench that day. This is not the case with the better American makes whose QC is much more consistent. Sure, you can get a bad Smith or Ruger but it's rare. With Taurus, it happens more often then it should and they are deserving of some criticism.

Because of Taurus erratic QC they are one that I generally don't recommended buying blindly online without first examining but at this ridiculous price I'll take the chance. If it isn't right I will take advantage of that lifetime warranty, contact Taurus and send it back until it gets right, or until I get a new one.

Last edited:
Actually a 50 year old S&W is probably OK. Now the tipups made during the southern unpleasantness are getting a bit of age and could develop headspace issues.

Jim

Could you image if S&W were offering 442's at $159.99 after $40 mail in rebate? People would be going off the wall nuts and it would be plastered across every gun forum, group, site, etc. in existence. They would be sold out within a day or two.

That would be a sad testimony to exactly what most people think of Taurus, LOL!

I have had two good Model 85 variants and two good Model 66 variants. None of them as smooth as a really nice Smith, but all of them reliable and with pretty good triggers.

O/P I think you got a great deal on your Taurus revolver. I've owned one, a 617Ti, for years now. It's been a good revolver, and does duty as my back up car gun.

Enjoy yours.

Not an 85, but I have the 5 round 605SS with 2" barrel. It shoots .38/.357 and has worked exceptionally well for me. Only problem is that Taurus doesn't sell the action parts. You have to send the gun in for warranty repair.

So I was in the process of using a comparable spring for a Bulgarian Makarov (don't laugh, it fits/works beautifully! :D) and a bit of clumsiness turned my revolver into a frame with a bag of loose parts!!!

IMPOSSIBLE for a human to put in the trigger/hand/transfer bar using two hands. I'm convinced Taurus has a special tool or uses some sorcery to do it!

Sent it back and they are gonna replace the firing pin spring and (I put the original, weak spring back in to ship) the hammer spring plus magically re-assemble it for $35 - which I think is a pretty good deal.

I bought an as new in box S&W 629-6 from an older guy at the range for $400, and an under folder AK for $400. That was 3 weeks before Sandy Hook. I sold the AK for $900, so I was given $100 to take the 44 mag..:cool:

I think you got an excellent deal. I had a S&W 642 I enjoyed until the finish started falling off (about 6 months). I dumped it. I have thought of getting another snub and it would be a Taurus 85. If the finish fell off a $150 -$200 gun I wouldn't feel as bad as if it was the $400+ S&W.

I think you got an excellent deal. I had a S&W 642 I enjoyed until the finish started falling off (about 6 months). I dumped it. I have thought of getting another snub and it would be a Taurus 85. If the finish fell off a $150 -$200 gun I wouldn't feel as bad as if it was the $400+ S&W.
I have heard some complaints about the finish on their 642's and others say they've had no problems. I guess it may depend on where you live and how you carry, sweat, the elements, etc. I don't know if S&W fixed that but I've had no problems with mine and I mainly pocket carry it in summer time.

I don't anticipate having any trouble with the finish coming off of an all steel frame blued M85 as long as it is cared for properly and even if it does I'm not going to be too concerned at that price.

Last edited:
Back