My advice is...

Bake

When someone asks me, "Which shotgun to get?" how can I really give them "good advice"? First the guy says he wants a shotgun (Just one gun) for "HD" (Bad idea IMO), and to shoot: Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays, and "small game" like: rabbits, turkeys, coyotes, deer, black bear, and don't forget upland bird, and of course ducks. :confused: Then he starts taking about budget.:rolleyes:

Now my problem is, I've only have owned 3 pump shotguns: a Winchester Model 12 (Sweet), Remington Wingmaster 870 (Even better), Winchester Model 97 (In Viet Nan). I've owned 2 Semi's: Benelli M1 Super 90 (3 Gun), and a Beretta Model 390 (Skeet & 5 Stand), both great shotguns. 6 break open shotguns: Iver Johnson 410 (First gun when I was 12), Charles Daily 500 (SXS), Browning BT-99, Browning Skeet Spe., Browning Trap Spe., and Browning 725. Except for the Benelli M1 & Model 97, I have only shot clay birds with my shotguns.

So as you can see, "What the hell do I know about Shotguns?

Last edited:
Husqvarna,

Actually I have 5 barrels now, and I'm always looking for a good 6th barrel...:o

Last edited:
Rifleer, Ruger,

The both of you might be right, but I've never owned or shot a Mossberg 500, or even seen a model 55 in person.

hey bake, quick question about rem870 wingmaster

do they have a best before date? like when people talk about pre64 with winchester or something?

I may buy a 870wingmaster from 1955! nice furniture (way nicer than new 870s) but are they neutral or possible to change the cast on? (lh shooter unfortunatly)

Husky,

I have only owned one Wingmaster, and I got it new in 1983. Many barrels, stocks, and corn cobs later, it still works better than "Like New". If you get the '55, I sure you will be pleased. I believe the 870 came from the factory with a neutral cast, even the Left Hand models. If you need more/less "cast", fire up the chainsaw, and install an after market adjustment kit ($80.00 to $90.00). You could also GOOGLE or Bing: 870 adjustable stocks (they run about $200.00 to $350.00) and you'll find a lot of them.

Addendum: After 1986, the barrels came with the interchangeable Rem Chokes, before '86 the barrels were fixed chokes. I think the fixed choked barrels have better patterns, but that's for another Thread..

Good hunting...

Last edited:
Bake said:
When someone asks me, "Which shotgun to get?" how can I really give them "good advice"?
First the guy says he wants a shotgun (Just one gun) for "HD" (Bad idea IMO), and to shoot: Skeet, Trap, 5 Stand, Sporting Clays, and "small game" like: rabbits, turkeys, coyotes, deer, black bear, and don't forget upland bird, and of course ducks.
Then he starts taking about budget.

Tell them they need to get a adjustable-charge Star Trek Phazer off sleaze-bay, to do everything. :p

Back