My $375.00 S&W 25-5 Purchase.............

BCR1

This came from an estate I helped the widow liquidate so I thought it was a decent deal for me considering the flaw that the gun has. Left side reveal will take place soon.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 253
The sheriff's patrol officers in a neighboring county carried 4" models. When they replaced them many years ago, I picked up a near-pristine one with its holster from a LGS for not a whole lot more than beer money.

Foolishly, I sold it several years later.... :-(

Last edited:
"That's not a cop gun!!!"
Bad Guy upon seeing Harry Calahan's gun in the Dirty Harry movie "Magnum Force".

And I DO know that yours is a .45 Colt, not a .44 magnum and I am really impressed with your purchase. For personal reasons I'd take the .45 Colt over the .44 magnum.

Well, maybe it was just a little more than beer money ($150).

Target hammer, target trigger, red ramp front sight and white outline rear sight, Goncalo stocks, a spare set of Pachmyrs and the little S&W screwdriver!

I looked it up in my records and I have the info on the guy I sold it to. Maybe I'll give him a call!

Last edited:
The prior owners son was murdered while selling the local Sunday paper decades ago so he had his and his sons initials engraved into the frame as it was a favorite shooter of both men.

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0473.jpg
    IMG_0473.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 164
The prior owners son was murdered while selling the local Sunday paper decades ago so he had his and his sons initials engraved into the frame as it was a favorite shooter of both men.

Bill
Personally I would call that "character" or "history".
Flaw would be screwdriver scratches going across the plate from disassembly or assembly or deep rust pits from something.

Even though I’m not a fan of long barrels I’d sure have snatched that up, and I totally think the initials give it a great history as opposed to them being a flaw. I’d be proud to extend the legacy behind it.

I have 14 45cal revolvers. 13 of them are S&W model 25s. 7 of them are 25-5s and one is 25-3. All 6.5” barrels except one 83/8”. As far as value, it’s more geared to buying power of the dollar. I’ve owned hundreds of guns. Some only for hours. I bought my first S&W magnum in 60s and it was less than $200. Average price for hi condition N frames $900-$1k
today. You see them tagged higher but not moving.

A decade ago I gave $900 for a 4" 25-5. I'd been looking for better than 10 years for a 4". I could have had my pick of 6" versions, but I wanted the 4.

BCR1 said:

That's hardly a flaw, it's more of a fascinating (albeit tragic) historical tidbit of the firearm's legacy. Seriously, unless you plan on selling it, that isn't a flaw to anybody save for the sharks who call themselves collectors that would claim that those engravings made it "completely worthless" yet strangely still offer to buy that "completely worthless" M25, albeit at a substantial discount.

Like Mike, I always wanted a 4" Model 25-5. While they are scarce and expensive, I finally got one about 5 years ago for about $900. And, Mike will understand this, I had to have the cylinder throats OPENED UP on this one.

Don

I didn't have to open up the cylinder throats on mine, fortunately. I was afraid I was going to have to, given everything I've read over the years, but mine showed no evidence at all of need it and has shot very accurately.

Actually, Mike, with 25-5's and early 25-2's, it's usually the other way around: cylinder throats of .455" and .456". No way of reducing them in size.

Don

Ah... good grief, had I thought about it a little bit...

Back in 1917 when S&W began producing revolvers in .45 ACP for the military the chamber throats were quite loose back then... Some have speculated over the years that this was done intentionally to help reduce chamber pressure and stress on the 1917 because the heat treating on the cylinders wasn't quite up to the pressures generated by the jacketed bullet .45 ACP round.

Back