My 25-06 CDL

Lange

Asked a while back about getting a 25-06 and well I got one. Put about over 60 rounds through it and it's been a good rifle so far. . Adjusted factory trigger to 3lbs and working well. Been loading 75 HPs for it since its varmint season, seem to shoot a little under MOA. Also been working with 100 grain Sierra Gamekings. Don't expect this to be it's more accurate loading since its a 9 1/4 twist. I'm curious as to why they use this twist now instead of 1/10?

Anyhow was concerned at first because it copper fouled BAD. Figure bullets going at 3600 FPS can very well do that. After lots of scrubbing using sweets and a round of JB I shot it again today.

I shot this group with the 100s. Using IMR 4350 can't remember the exact charge but 1 below max in the manual at 3,300 FPS.

Bottom corner square, center was some .223 testing. 0.46 inches! Best so far and showed me rifle has good promise.

Should be a fun nice reliable rifle for a long time. Here's the gun, got a Burris FF II 4.5x14 on it:

Thanks all!

Last edited:
Congratulations, I like the .25-06 rifle and have thoroughly enjoyed mine. I'd look at finding the one bullet that shoots the best for hunting and use that for everything varmints to deer. I really like the Nosler 115 BT and the 117 grain Sierra PH bullets, both kill deer and pronghorn well and ruin any varmint or predators day. I save the lighter .25 caliber bullets for my .250-3000 rifles.

Shoot 100 gr. primarily. Really fast/ flat and not as meat destroying as the 87 gr is. 117-120 gr slow the 25s velocity too much for my liking.
If I feel the need to to shoot heavier bullets like 130 gr. Got a 270 for that effort and its handload tickles 3200 fps.

My savage heavy barrel loves the 117gr sierra gameking. 1/2 moa at 3200 fps. Oddly it wont shoot the 115 gr ballistic tips very well though.

taylorce1 said:
Congratulations, I like the .25-06 rifle and have thoroughly enjoyed mine. I'd look at finding the one bullet that shoots the best for hunting and use that for everything varmints to deer. I really like the Nosler 115 BT and the 117 grain Sierra PH bullets, both kill deer and pronghorn well and ruin any varmint or predators day. I save the lighter .25 caliber bullets for my .250-3000 rifles.

Thanks! I remember when I was asking about one and in other threads you commenting about 25-06. Appreciate the advice.

sako2 said:
My 25-06 shoot the 117 sierra gamekings really good.

May try those at some point. Having good luck with the 100s right now certainly.

Sure Shot Mc Gee said:
Sure Shot Mc Gee Shoot 100 gr. primarily. Really fast/ flat and not as meat destroying as the 87 gr is. 117-120 gr slow the 25s velocity too much for my liking. If I feel the need to to shoot heavier bullets like 130 gr. Got a 270 for that effort and its handload tickles 3200 fps.

I see, well I think both weights might have merrit in my case but I can surely see that. Good to note. If I go with 117s-120 if push 3100FPS accurately should work well hopefully. Also yeah I wasn't planning on using anything under 90 for big game, probably 100 ideally anything under is Varmint rounds, good to know what could happen!

98 220 swift said:
My savage heavy barrel loves the 117gr sierra gameking. 1/2 moa at 3200 fps. Oddly it wont shoot the 115 gr ballistic tips very well though.

Interesting, thats great. I will keep that in mind. Had good luck with 100 Sierras as I mentioned so may try the 117s. That or Hornady SSTs I hear are quite good.

Sweet rig you have there. Your appreciation for what you have will grow over the years. Mine is a Ruger #1V.

If you handload you can get fantastic accuracy. This is 150 yards off the hood of my pickup.

Thank you flashhole. That's a really nice rifle yourself, and some great groups! Have been handloading and it's been a fun and interesting venture. I did a lot of research before deciding on buying a 25-06. As you said I should really value it over time. Sure I'll have a lot of fun and good use with it. Cross Varmint, Deer and Antelope will give me a lot of use with the gun I'm thinking. Are those Nosler Ballistic tip bullets? Some great groups there!

Yes, Nosler 100 grain BTs. 4 loads for this rifle, 87 grain, 100 grain 115 grain and 120 grain. All shoot very accurate. The 25-06 gives new meaning to the term "Red Mist" when shooting varmints.

My 25-06, ( I don't own anymore) shot 110 grn Accubonds very nicely with IMR 4381, at .010 off the lands.
I sold it to help fund another rifle project I had at the time, and I have a 6.506 which helps fill that void...it's a shooter.

I mentioned so may try the 117s. That or Hornady SSTs I hear are quite good
Both of my rifles did not like the Hornady 117gr. Also they had high pressure signs before the 117 sierra and 115 BT. Most likely due to not being a boatailed bullet. I have had 3 25-06s and they seem to finikly about loads. They have all taken a lot of try and error to find what they liked. And of course none liked anything the other ones did.

25/06

Nice rig Lange. I love mine. when you get the chance, try the 75grn. Hornaday v-max with some IMR 4831 or H 4831SC, Varmints hate them and I'm getting very small groups with this combo. Very nice. Tim.

Back