muzzleloaders...blued or stainless

Servo77

I am looking at getting back into muzzleloading. Do you really need to get a stainless one (for corrosion reasons) or is blued fine? I plan on using only tripe 7 and cleaning relgiously after each session. I can get a knight revolution for around $250 blued or stainless for $300.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be happy with blued steel.
I want to ask a question before I just spout off with BS. Could you strip off the bluing and Parkerize it to give it a unique look?

blue vs stainless

If this is for hunting and you are set on in-line and such then stainless is easier to care for and when it rains you don't worry so much about your smoke pole getting a case of the measles.

The is true wether you use 777 or real black powder.

I have a TC Omega - stainless in a black poly stock and its a pip - highly recommend it. It is accurate, the sights are excellent and it's easy to scope if you want to. It also uses 205 shotgun primers and does not need any special holders for them. Other than more bullet drop, there's little advantage of a centerfire rifle over these 150 yards and in. These are 50 caliber and built for sabot bullets. I use 777 in mine and you can litteraly field clean it with a spit wad followed by a dry wad and one with some bore butter - done. When you get home, screw out the breech plug and apply a little warm water - dry, lube and your done till next time.

These can be had used for very reasonable off the auctions or board for-sale forums.

I also have a couple traditional percussion muzzle loaders and they are really fun to shoot and also very accurate. They aren't as easy to care for but not really that much harder either.

Here's a pic of one that I just bought and refinished - its an old CVA Mountain rifle -54 caliber with slow twist intended for patched round ball (which weighs 220 grains and is a very good hunting projectile):

HPIM0401a.JPG

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I paid only $225 for this - had some light rust in the bore which probably scared everybody else off of it :D I used some lapping compound and the rust is nowhere to be seen now.

I recommend asking a lot of questions before popping for the money.

Back