Muzzlel loader bullets

CD1

Does anyone have any data that compares and contrasts different bullet manufacturers bullets? I'm using Barnes 250 grain MZ sabots now. Ive been looking for a cheaper alternative, but I dont want to buy poorly manufactured or poorly performing ammo. I would appreciate any input y'all could give me. Thanks in advance.

Spending thousands of dollars on weapons and hunts makes little sense if you scrimp on a good bullet. And, just how many shots do you take in the course of a year? Even with a beef shoot or two, I use less than $20/yr in lead.

If you are looking for a better performing bullet, that's one thing. But, on deer sized game at least, there's no BAD projectiles, when properly inserted.

Have good performance from Buffalo Bullets, BTW.

For an inexpensive sabot load I shoot 240gr. lead semiwadcutter's (same as I use in my .44Mag) in my MMP sabots. There's no problem with leading, so why not? At saboted velocities from a .50 they flatten out nicely on impact. This saves quite a bit of money over using jacketed bullets in the sabots-and a LOT of money over pre-assembled offerings such as the Barnes!

I wanted to use the Barnes, but my muzzleloader (Encore 209X50) only groups about 3" @ 100 yds. with them.

I had to send the gun back to Thompson for repair (burr in rifling...which they fixed) and inquired about a good load. They sent me a box of the TC Hornady 240 XTP (sabot) bullets. The rifle consistently shoots 1.5" groups and better with this bullet and 2 pellets. It does the same in the 209X50s of a couple of friends of mine.

I shot a couple of blocks of gelatin with them and got 18.5" and 20.5" penetration, with nice expansion and little fragmentation.

I field tested it yesterday and got excellent results. On a quartering shot (whitetail), it went in at the juncture of the neck and body, went through the top of the heart (major damage) and continued through, punching a hole in a couple of ribs on the other side. I didn't measure the penetration, but the angle was such that I was worried it had gotten into the gut was happy to see that it didn't). Nice exit wound and resultant blood-trail.

The deer only ran about 50 yards before piling up.

All in all, I don't think anything else would have done a better job. All that and they cost about $10/30 at Walmart. Makes them easy to come by and not too hard on the wallet.

[This message has been edited by Buford Boone (edited November 08, 2000).]

Normally I'd be comfortable shooting any quality sabot but Im shooting 150 grains of Pyrodex and Knight (the manufacturer) says that the Barnes Red Hot bullet is the only ammo that will take the beating of a 150 grain powder load and not break up. I just recently got the DISC rifle so Im new to it, and I want to make sure that the ammo Im using is the most effective, ie accurate, reliable, affordable, etc. Thanks to all for the info, any input on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Back