Muzzle Loader for Hunting

Harley2k

I've always wanted a blackpowder gun of some sort. I've been watching way to much tv and seeing all the guys hunting with muzzle loaders. I've been to all of the the big outdoor shops and the more I look and talk the harder is becomes. There is such a differents in guns and price. I know I want one that uses the shotgun primers. The bolt action ones look to be hard to get primer out. I know that this is a question that is beat into the ground but would like any input that anyone could give me. It's just so hard because the $100 gun looks as good as the $500 gun and I'm sure that there has to be something that causes the different prices. Thanks for any help.

i havent fired any of the new fangled 200yrd muzzle loaders and cant comment on their accuracy. that said ill let you know that my $50 traditions deerhunter from gander mountain has never let me down.

one last thing i heard the $300 winchester x150 is awesome. it takes upto 150 grains of powder and in 45 can supposedly reach out to 300 yards. it uses those shotgun primers you sound so fond of aswell.

Beartooth Magnum by CVA is great!

This is the gun I bought for $129 at Walmart. I get around 1" or better at 100 yards and can repetidly bang a 6" gong at 250 yards. It did take some accurizing, but I got it there. It shoots as good or better than my brothers Thompson Encore 50 cal $500+ muzzleloader.

I'd opt for the 50 cal, as it seems that the ballistics are better.

I saw Shockey down a Water Buffalo on the Outdoor channel today with a 50 cal muzzle loader :eek:. Must say something for them...

Good luck,

JSF:)

CVA 45 cal. :D shoots flatter and kicks less. Energy on the target is good enough out ot 250 yds to take anything on the north american continent.:)

Back