Muzzle Loader As Shotgun

Keith Rogan

All,

I recently bought a T/C Hawkins .50 for deer hunting. I'm enjoying it a lot, but in a few weeks as deer season winds down I'm wondering if I couldn't use this for rabbits with shot?
I know I can use a single ball with a reduced charge for sitting bunnies, but doesn't anyone offer a shot cup of some kind so you can use a rifle as a shotgun? Obviously, just pouring a charge of shot down the barrel would make a mess of the rifling...

Any suggestions?

Keith

My SWAG would be to try two sabots, one over the other with 1/2 oz of #6 lead shot sandwiched in between. Sabots fit tight to the bore and will give an excellent seal. Cheap to, about 15 cents apiece. I don't see how it could damage the bore though it might lead-it up a bit.

For powder start out around 35gr of BP or Pyrodex. Take it to a pattern board and figure out the effective range. Since there's no choke and the shot may actually be spinning as it comes out I'm guessing it's under 15 yds, but for some kinds of rabbit hunting that's more than enough. Play around with the shot & powder wghts, you might see some pattern improvement.

Would be an interesting experiment. -- Kernel

muzzle

I've been doing it for years, with a T.C.Renegade. It started out as a joke, but it works fine.

I buy bulk sabots and use one to hold the shot and one on top to keep it in the barrel.

I just scoop the sabot thru the shot (#6) and push it down with the top sabot. I use 1 50 gr. Pyrodex pellet or 40 grns. of loose Pyrodex.

I get good rabbit kills out to about 25 yds. with this load.

Note; it is not recommended to shoot Pyrodex pellets in side locks, I do it sometimes, but I tested from a vise about 20 shots, and I use a musket cap, this gives a lot more flame to ignite the pellet.

YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY!!!!

Back