Muzzle Flip on USP 45

Sgt Rod

Inactive
H&K's USP .45 is one of my favorite pistol designs. They borrowed features from the 1911, SIG 200 series and to some extent from Glock. The only characteristic I dislike, is the increased muzzle flip it experiences while being fired. I know that SIG 220s show similar behaviour. That is one thing I like about the 1911, it has a very mild muzzle flip. I actually find myself having problems connecting accurate fast double taps with the USP. I've been considering the CZ-97 as possible addition to my arsenal. I believe that it will show a much reduced muzzle flip due to its added mass and frame/slide design. Am I the only one feeling this way about the USP .45? As always, thank you for your input.

Sgt. Rod

No you're no the only one. I noticed my USP Tactical has more pronounced muzzle flip than my Kimber. The relatively high bore axis of the USP design does seem to make muzzle flip more pronounced. Though the muzzle flip is more pronounced, reward recoil is lessened by the recoil spring set up, making the pistol as easy to control as my Kimber.

I've also owned a Sig P220 and found that it had the same recoil charateristics as the USP in terms of muzzle flip. When compared to my Glock 21 the Sig was a bit slower in rapid fire. The Glock model 21 remains the most manageable 45ACP handgun that I've fired.

The USP is a great pistol and I will not part with mine, unless trading for a USP Expert. If the muzzle flip becomes too much of a problem and you must have a 45 ACP consider the Glock 21. Just my opinion.

JJCII

I agree with you that there is noticeable muzzle flip but it's still controllable. If you're carrying it there's not much you can do, but if it's the long practice sessions that are getting to you you can buy an aftermarket barrel which is ported.

------------------

I shot my father's Glock 21 (it used to be mine) side by side with a HK USP .45 full size a few months ago. I was very surprised at just how much more the HK flipped during recoil than the G21. For me, the G21 is far more comfortable to shoot and I can achieve much better follow-up shots with it.

Sgt Rod
It is not so much the mass as the design. The closer you grip to bore line the less flip. Even with the 1911 add a high rise grip safety and you notice the difference.

Back