Muzzle-Flip Hell

Rickmeister

Help! My Taurus Ti Tracker 627 swings up 90 degrees with 125 gr Cor-Bons and a "modest" 60 degrees with 110 gr Winchesters. I'm a 5' 9", 200 lb iron pumper, so I don't consider myself wimpy. All the same, this light gun has a nasty kick to it that I don't feel comfortable with, particularly since I'm contemplating it as a carry weapon.

Does anyone know if I can use .38 Specials all the time without any problem (.38s being shorter than .357s)? I'm not concerned with deposits building up on the chamber wall. I can always clean that away. I just want to know if there is a certain amount of free-play between cartdridge and breech that may be harmful to the gun over time (i.e., is there some amount of pitch and yaw in the bullet before it meets the barrel?).

Last edited:
Don't worry about wear and tear with .38 SPL. And don't worry about being a sissy, either; lightweight .357 Magnum revolvers WILL flip alot. Different grips (e.g. Hogue rubber or Pachmayr Decelerators) can help alot. If push comes to shove, have it Mag-Na-Ported (it costs under $100) and be done with it.

Shoot .38spec and be happy. Good idea to run some fired .357 cases into the chambers when done firing to cut the crud away.

Sam

CastleBravo,

A Tracker is ported, and has Taurus's excellent "Ribber" grips on it. :eek:

Rickmeister,

All I can offer is telling you to experiment with different ways of grasping the gun (a good Weaver stance?) and different loads. I never found the Ti Trackers to be too terribly vicious in the recoil department; felt recoil really has much more to do with technique and perceptions than anything else. Once you think it kicks or flips bad, it will, until you find a way to tame it that satisfies both you and your subconscious. :)

Rickmeister, 125 gr Corbons in a titanium gun sounds exhilarating!

I think timing is important in "absorbing" recoil. You don't want to have a death-grip on the gun when you squeeze the trigger. For one thing, you'll shake. For another, you'll take the full brunt of the recoil. Relax a little, let the gun rise, and catch it, like you would catch a fastball. Arrest the motion and control it.

Practice with 38 spl. and back off to lighter magnum loads, like PMC's 158 SP to get accustomed to 357. Follow up shots with 357 will always be slower compared to 38 spl. My house gun is a GP 100 with 38 spl +p for this reason.

I wonder too, about prolonged use of the shorter 38 spl in the Ti cylinder. Ti does gall pretty easy, does it erode any faster than steel, enough to be concerned??? Taurus has done a lot of R&D on Ti. I would call Taurus and ask their thoughts on shooting the shorter 38s. Be interesting to hear what they say. Since they have a lifetime warranty it's in their best interest to be straight.

Good shootin!

Gee, sorry I haven't spent my time keeping up-to-date on model numbers for Brazilian revolvers... :p

The Titanium Tracker is a neat looking revolver... I'm kind of surprised that it flips so much with the porting. Then again, it is at least 50% lighter than a S&W 686.

M627TT.gif

I'd still consider trying different grips, though I don't know off the top of my head what is available. "One size doesn't fit all" applies here as well as anyplace else.

And Billy, sorry but you don't get any bonus points for the "me-too!" piggy-back correction with Tamara. Better luck next time... ;)

Last edited:
Try getting your grip higher--the hammer should come back almost to the web between your thumb and index finger. Any lower, and you're on the wrong end of the lever.

Also, try rotating your elbows out some, thus allowing the gun to recoil straight back as well as up. Elbows down enhances muzzle flip compared to elbows out.

Good luck!

Steve

Is the grip long enough to get all three fingers on it?

If not, I would switch to a slighly longer grip that allows you to do so.
I've found this to be critical in muzzle control on little barn-burners like yours.

Back