Muzzle Energy

For a .22 with a nominal 120 ft lbs muzzle energy, 50 ft lbs would be very significant.

For. 9mm or .45 ACP, both around 400 ft lbs, not as much, about 12%.

In comparison, an S&W 500 has about 3,000 ft lbs, and 50 ft lbs difference would be a nominal difference found between standard loads.

The 1-off .50 BMG pistols are easily double to triple that, so even 100 ft lbs would be a negligible difference.

Can you give some more specifics on what you are looking for?

I know that shot placement trumps all so we're not even going to figure that into the equation.

Is the difference in ME between a 10mm and 45+p significant enough to make a difference in any scenario you can imagine here in the lower 48? Bad guys, large predators/moose, crappy programming on tv...

Buffalo bore lists 45 acp +P: 185gr at 543 ft lbs
Underwood has 45 acp +P: 185gr at 592 ft lbs

Buffalo bore for the 10mm says: 180gr at 728 ft lbs
Underwood for the 10mm says: 180gr at 676 ft lbs

Is the difference in ME between a 10mm and 45+p significant enough to make a difference in any scenario you can imagine here in the lower 48?
Probably not, but that 10mm would likely have better penetration when comparing equal weight bullets (or even 180gr vs 185gr listed above-The .40 is heavier for caliber). To me, that would make a more significant difference than just energy especially when going against heavier skinned stuff.

Some have argued there's not much use in a 10mm because of +P ammo for the 40 and 45.

Because of the higher ME for the 10 I wondered if it mattered. Hence, my original question.

If it's +P .45 vs std 10 mm yes there is 15-25% difference, but as you said at those energy levels (and not shooting through a wall or body armor), either will stop a threat quickly with a decent shot or 2 (or 7) :)

What is generally considered a significant increase in muzzle energy for handguns? 50? 75 ft lbs? 100?
I'd say anything more than 15%

Is the difference in ME between a 10mm and 45+p significant enough to make a difference in any scenario you can imagine here in the lower 48? Bad guys, large predators/moose, crappy programming on tv...

I'd prefer the 45 for all those other than "large predators"
More power isn't always better

There is a threshold as to where it matters and where it is less of a factor. It takes about 1000 fp of energy to start to cause permanent cavitation and hydrostatic shock. Self defense handgun calibers have less than half of that. It really does not matter at all in self defense calibers.

I would say a 500 fp difference is really enough to matter. There is a 750 fp difference between 223 and 243. There is a 750 fp difference between a 243 and 30-06. A 30-06 produces about 2700 fp.

So don't pay any attention to energy in standard self defense calibers. They don't work that way. Look at how big a hole they make after expansion and how deep they penetrate. You want the biggest deepest hole.

In your scenario the difference in energy does not matter. Bullet construction and how they perform under the listed velocity is what will matter. For instance, higher velocity could cause greater expansion with less penetration.

Neither of those rounds is at all adequate for large predators and moose. My minimum for elk and bear is 2000 fp and I generally use 3000 fp cartridges to hunt them. Both will work on 2 legged predators at self-defense range.

Last edited:
Energy never killed anything ! The bullets need to penetrate into vital organs and damage them !
For longer range faster driven bullets slow down faster because of the poor ballistic coefficient .
If your 357 can't do it then go to a 44 mag.

What is generally considered a significant increase in muzzle energy for handguns? 50? 75 ft lbs? 100?
Reminds of the movie White Christmas where Bing Crosby finds out the cost of moving his show to the Vermont hotel and says "Wow!" Partner Danny Kaye asks, "How much is Wow?" and Crosby replies, "It's right in between Ouch! and Boing!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTL453yF5BQ

In other words, the term "significant' is relevant and subjective.

Last edited:
The law of dimishing returns occurs when moving up to magnum calibers. For example: I can tell a lot of difference between a .22LR and a 9mm, however I have a harder time distinguising between a .41 and .44 Magnum, even though the difference ~200ft/lbs is the same.

Energy is only part of the story and to me, it doesn't play a terribly important role. In handguns the difference in energy needs to be BIG in order for the word significant to come into play.

Specifically, between the .40, 10mm and .45 ACP +P it never really gets significant because in order to get super high energy levels (to the point of double or more) you have to drop bullet weight drastically and then compare that to a run of the mill target load, which isn't exactly apples to apples.

Last edited:
Nrg

For a .22 with a nominal 120 ft lbs muzzle energy, 50 ft lbs would be very significant
Nominal from a rifle maybe.
From a snubbie, .22 SV gets you about 60-65 ft.lbs. At that rate, a significant increase could be 20%.

Energy ain't everything.

A .223 out of a rifle has more muzzle energy than a .45-70 firing "trapdoor" loads. However, which would you rather have when facing a charging bear?

Back