muzzle break on a 308Win Rem700VS

j-man

Inactive
Just wanted some input on attaching a muzzle break on this bold action gun affect accuracy and if it does not, what a good, non-stainless, less expensive muzzle break is recommended. Thanks in advance.

I shoot the 308 in competetion and it is indeed one of the world's premier target rounds and your rifle "out of the box" will perform very well indeed just as it is. I could see no advantage to a muzzle brake on your rifle and in fact, a brake can disturb the gas flow to such a degree that it will disturb the flight of the bullet leaving the muzzle. If it is for recoil reduction, then the offset on that is the ungodly noise created?? I personally would leave it alone and work up some good loads for it and have the trigger adjusted to about a crisp 2.5 pounds, good optics, and you are well set for some excellent shooting IMHO

If you are looking to reduce recoil, the Remingtons are offered with ports in some models...

If you are looking to reduce flash, stick to the longer barrel...

Or, I think you can get a Vortex with set screws to fit a Remington bull barrel contour from Brownells. You might sacrifice a small percentage of accuracy but no more than you'll get from factory load variations in powder/bullet weights...

I manufacture and install one of the very best brakes on the market, as well as a BOSS clone. In that light, brakes do not affect accuracy, but do make shooting from the bench much more enjoyable with heavy calibers. Hearing protection is paramount, however!
Kurt V. Wala
Kurt's Kustom Firearms www.kurtkustom.qpg.com/

I don't care for the brake either. there is nothing that p*sses me off more than somebody crawling right up against me at the range with a 300 with a brake on it, very obnoxious.

first and foremost - THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS GUYS...... i was after less recoil and flash -- i think i'll try shifting my reloads from 168 to 150 grain and using 748 as oppose to Varget (going to a faster burning powder).

The only thing done to this particular rifle is shortened the barrel to 22" and lightened the trigger pull to 2 lbs ---- the pet load is sierre 168HPBT Match with 42.2 varget and getting consistent groups of half an inch or better at a hundred yards --- was also using Fed Match Primers first then switched to CCI Benchrest when i found out the grouping got a lot tighter (primers makes a big difference).

Did a survey: asked 10 gunsmiths (barrel makers and benchrest/accurizing gunsmiths) about installing muzzle break:
1. effect in accuracy?
2. effect in gun report?
3. effect in muzzle flash?

their answers were:
1. 1 more accurate --- 7 no effect --- 2 lessened
2. 7 increased --- 2 the same --- 1 increased
3. 3 increased --- 4 the same --- 3 lessened

my summary is:
1. more accurate because of less flinch -- less recoil (quick 2nd shot) -- no effect because the bullet is already out of the barrel before the expanding gases
2. disippates the report -- less on the shooter -- more on the bystandards -- less downrange
3. the ball of fire was changed from -- long to the front -- to -- wide and to the sides

MY OH MY -- the more i want to know, the less i know ---- from my purpose then, which is tactical in urban setting -- a muzzle break can be advisable. i think i'll try my load development first though!

IMHO, I don't think a muzzle brake on a bolt action rifle will reduce time to the second shot. The only benefits I can predict is reduced recoil and less muzzle jump. Less muzzle jump would be good if you want to see the impact of the bullet on the target.

My .02

Jason

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

[This message has been edited by jcoyoung (edited February 18, 2000).]

So what about a muzzle BRAKE?? What do you guys think about them??

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

I'm pretty sure they are both the same thing. Does anybody know what the correct spelling is? Break or brake?

------------------
"Ray guns don't vaporize Zorbonians, Zorbonians vaporize Zorbonians" The Far Side

I just want to head off any concern --- PLEASE ACCEPT MY APPOLOGIES (and to anyone else for that matter) if im giving a wrong impression -- i know reloads and tactical situations is a BAD COMBINATION ---- due to liabilities, some very aggressive legal people and department polices --- it is a NO-NO, PERIOD ----

I believe that reloads gives far superior accuracy than any manufactured ammunition, with that in mind, Iwould only be using reloads for paper punching on the range and to find out the capabilities of the firearm -- thats all ! ! ! ! ! !

Back