Muzzle Break ? New Stock ?

LoneStar

I've got a Mossberg 1500 7mm Mag that I've just never been able to shoot right. It Kicks the snot out of me. It's a very light rifle, and tends to jump more than any other rifle I've shot. She's bumped me across the bridge of the nose several times. The gun has some sentimental value, so I'd like to do what I can to turn this thing into a shooter. I currently hunt with a .270 that's a little heavier, and just Love it. I've shot a friends .338, equiped with a muzzle brake, and it shot very nice.

Anyway, here's what I'm thinkin (a bad habit, I know) I'd like to do. First, I'd really like to put a nice thumb-hole stock on it. I think that the thumbhole stock will give me a better grip, and more control. If others have had other experiences, I'd like to hear them. I've searched high & low, and haven't found anyone who makes such a thing for this rifle. ANY leads will be greatly appreciated.

Second, I'd like to put a muzzle brake on here, but haven't clue what to look for in a good brake. Who makes "the best" or "the best for the $"? What do you look for in choosing one? Anything I should shy away from? What kind of reduction in recoil is reasonable to expect? Is it possible to tame a 7 mag down to say a .243-25-06 level of recoil?

Any information, comments, etc. will be appreciated.

A muzzle brake will definitely reduce the felt recoil, probably down to .25-'06-ish. It commonly increases the noise level. As for "Who?", somebody will know, or you can browse...Check TFL's links.

FWIW, Art

Back