MUZZLE BRAKES

pepemarine

DEAR GEORGE:

THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT TYPES OF MUZZLE BRAKES ON THE MARKET AND SOME INSIST ON OPENING THEM UP FROM 0.20" TO 0.40" OVER BULLET DIAMETER. THE QUESTION IS?

IF OPENED 0.20" WILL I GET LESS RECOIL AND MORE MUZZLE BLAST?
HOW ABOUT 0.40" ?
FOR A 7MM REM MAG.?
FOR A .300 WIN MAG.?

PLEASE EXPLAIN, I´VE SEEN NOISE SUPRESSORS THAT ARE OF THE SAME BULLET DIAMETER.

A noise suppressor is an expansion chamber, allowing the muzzle-blast gases to expand and exit at less than supersonic speed. Gases at sub-sonic speeds make much less noise...The inner tube of necessity must be fairly close to the bore diameter so that the bullet provides an obstruction to gases escaping forward; the gases are forced into the baffled chambers through the holes of the inner tube. A "Silencer" is thus a rather complex and finely machined device.

A muzzle brake is merely a set of slots cut at an angle to divert some of the gases rearward to reduce recoil. The slots are cut on a back-angle, and the force of the gases on this slope provides a forward push. This forward push reduces recoil, partially. These slots are commonly on the upper half of the barrel, thus reducing the upward jump of the barrel during recoil.

The apparent noise level of a firearm equipped with a muzzle brake is louder than one not so equipped, as the pressure (and thus sound) waves are no longer directed wholly downrange, but both to the sides and upward. In a line of benchrests, muzzle brakes are very unpopular with the "next-door neighbor".

FWIW, Art

PS: Writing your post in capital letters is very much like shouting instead of speaking quietly. :)

Pepemarine, Art is correct and to answer your last question, I don't know. Every brake I've installed has been opened to .040" as far as I can remember. So I really couldn't comment on any difference. George

Thanks for the advice Art.
It´s a little bit more difficult to write in a different language than your own, I´ll try harder.

Many years ago I made a noise suppressor that I copied from a magazine and installed it on a air rifle. I had the nastiest discussion with a cop because they are prohibited down here in firearms, so when they got the idea of the air rifle being silent the cop wanted me to make one for him.
Of course that didn´t happened.

Thanks.

keep blasting!

Art, you are right on the noise level on the muzzel brakes not only for those next to you but also the shooter.
You had mentioned that before but I thought I would get one anyway it might make my M14 a little nicer, well it did, but I think I spent 80$ for nothing.:(
I promised Dennis he can shoot it before I remove it, so I will have to us two ear plugs in each ear until then.

I picked up a Bushmaster from a buddy; no brake. I have another, consignment, pre-ban AR clone with a brake on it. I was surprised at the difference in muzzle-jump between them, particularly with the Bushie weighing more. The DPMS jumps less!

(Of course, neither one of them really "kick", to begin with.)

:), Art

Originally posted by Art Eatman:

In a line of benchrests, muzzle brakes are very unpopular with the "next-door neighbor".

Yes, VERY! I wish they'd make up a section of the range for the "brake" guys. The side-blast concussion from some the braked magnums can really be obnoxious.

Back