Muzzle brakes on pistols

Willie Lowman

Most of my muzzle brake experience is with rifles.

My pistol brake experience begins and ends with a Glock 24C that I used to have.

I have began to toy with the idea of getting a T/C Contender in .44 mag. Possibly with a 10" or 12" barrel.

To get to my question, what are the good aftermarket brakes for large handguns? (yeah I know the .44 isn't as large as a .460 S&W)

I shot a buddys Contender with one of the "JDJ" barrels on it. Cant remember the caliber designation, but it was a big round, and I was thinking "this isnt going to be good" right before I shot it. Turned out to be a LOUD pussycat. I was amazed at how well the brake worked.

I had a 4" model 29 S&W ported by Magna Port back in the early 90's, and wasnt at all impressed with it. Early port/brake technology, I know. About the only thing that was impressive, was the big "V" that appeared when you shot it in low light. I never noticed it kept the muzzle down though.

the Contender "hunter barrels" that come factory ported work well ( I have one in 35 Remington, & 45-70 ) & have several guns that have had either compensators added, or ported barrels... what I find, is that the higher pressure rounds get the most noticeable effect from porting or comps...

if you could find a ported 44 mag barrel, that would help IMO ( my light weight octagon 10" 44 mag barrel is a bugger to shoot )... or one could have an existing barrel ported, from one of the companies that do it ( like Magna Port ) for example

And then I see this... the JP Recoil Eliminator

tc.jpg

(image borrowed from http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php)

I talked to a guy using one on an AR once. He said it was the best muzzle brake he had used. But a .44 isn't an AR. I admit, I am interested in it's appearance to a large degree. I wonder how well it works.

Last edited:
Back