Muzzle Brake on SKS and Mini 14's

Jamie Young

I own an SKS and a Mini 14 I'm not complaining about the kick on the guns but I have noticed that my MIni 14 jumps around a lot because its so light. I know if i rapid fire from a table my follow up shots are not as good because it jumps around so much. How effective are the muzzle brakes out there for the Mini 14's and SKS's? Can anyone give me a percentage that they cut in kick like 10% 20%

I have both a Mini-14 and an SKS and put muzzle brakes on both of them. Both were pin-on muzzle brakes from Cheaper Than Dirt, I put them on for looks as much as for recoil reduction...which is a good thing, 'cause I can't tell any difference in the recoil with either one. There might be a slight reduction in the recoil, but to me both feel exactly the same as before. They look cool, though...

Shoot straight

freedomlover

------------------
Sic semper tyrannis

Soda,

I have a brake on my SKS that I got from Smith Enterprises in Arizona some years ago when I was working for American Rifleman.

It doesn't help much with recoil, which is really light, but it makes muzzle jump practically non-existent. On the bench it comes straight back, almost 0 muzzle jump. It goes on with 4 set screws, if I remember correctly.

I put the m-14 "look-alike" muzzle brake on my mini-14, and am pleased with the results. The recoil was noticable reduced, flash was dramatically cut down. Together with the Choate synthetic stock (with 1" recoil pad), my recoil-shy ex-girlfriend had no problem with it, where before the recoil/flash scared her. As a bonus, the sight picture is much better than with the stock front sight.
http://www.bushmaster.com/products/mini14/mini_14_flash_suppressor.htm

Back