Muzzle brake/Flash hider, for Mini-14, 10/22

Bushwhacker

Is putting a muzzle brake/flash hider on a Mini-14 or 10/22 help that much as far as recoil, muzzle climb ?
Also what your thought on replacing wood stocks with rubber?

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Flyerm14

I have an AK-style muzzle brake on a mini-14. Since the gun doesn't have much recoil and muzzle flip to begin with in the .233 chambering, you really don't *need* one ( though they do look cool). The gun is noticibly louder with the brake installed, because the gasses are propelled somewhat backwards and out to the sides. But there is no more muzzle flip whatsoever.

I replaced the stock with a pistol-gripped synthetic that looks nicer, and is hopefully more resistant to weather and abuse.

As for a 10/22, I'd rather have a heavy barrel than opt for a muzzle brake. ANd a good benchrest. Good Luck! :)

Spleenandideal,
I'm in the market for a synthetic pistol grip stock for my Mini-30. What kind do you have and are you happy with it?

My Mini14 has the old-style flash hide/brake and the gun in *noisy* Doesn't kick much, but it is loud. Won't buy any guns with muzzle brakes again...

Grayfox~
I have the Butler Creek folding stock with the "stainless" accents. The grip itself looks really...uh...Flash-Gordon-Groovy, with huge finger-grooves. But it has a built-in trapdoor which is immensly easier to open than the stowaway grip for the AR.

I compared it with the Ram-line and the Choate, but the Butler Creek looked the nicest and feels like it secures the bbl/receiver more securely.

Only problem with it is that the butt-rail isn't mid-line when open, and since I shoot lefty, doesn't offer centered sight picture. I fixed this by making a clip-on cheekpiece. Plus the post-ban models don't have the folding buttstock. Fixed by welding I think.

I have a 10/22 with a Volquartsen muzzle brake. NOT worth the extra money. I would rather spend the money on a real muzzle brake, the kind that is bore sized with real ports. The kind that are ported right into the barrel of a competition gun. With a good muzzle brake you will find that it does reduce the recoil perceived as well as the muzzle flash. AND it WILL increase the noise level at the shooters ear.

Back