Mustang Poketlight is it safe to carry one in the pipe with hammer down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob S

I currently have a mustang pocketlight which I like very much. The only problem I have found is that I am not a real fan of going "cocked and locked" while it is in my front pocket. I could just carry it with loaded magazine and nothing in the chamber, but that slows things down a bit. Is it safe to carry a live round in the chamber with the hammer down? Does anyone know if it has a firing pin safty block?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

While it may be technically "safe", it is not a good idea to carry a SA piece in condition two. If you want a pocket gun, get a pocket gun, typically a DA or DAO pistol, or a revolver. ......SmithNut

Well, it would be technically safe as far as mechanical devices go if there really is an operating firing pin blocking safety.

I would NEVER carry any semiauto with a round in the chamber in Condition Two without such a working device.

Of course, with a SA only gun, I'd rather just switch to a DA/SA or a DAO if cocked 'n locked made me nervous.

For front pocket carry, I'd be nervous. Flipped that tiny switch on my pager off too many times to trust events in a pocket.

Check the existence/function of a firing pin block on a hammer-fired pistol thusly:

Unload the gun. Completely. Check again. :)

Lock slide back or remove slide assembly from pistol.

Push forward on the rear of the firing pin with a pen or something skinny enough to follow the firing pin through its channel. Look at the breechface of the slide. If the firing pin stops moving forward before the nose of the pin protrudes, you probably have a firing pin safety. Push harder to double-check function.

Look on the bottom of the slide for a round or rectangular or even square "plunger" type gizmo maybe a quarter-inch across, between the breechface and the rear of the slide. If you find one, push it up with your finger or something that works. Repeat the push on the rear of the firing pin thing...if it now protrudes into the breechface, A-OK. If not, you're probably using something too big to push the firing pin and need to re-evaluate your technique. Or rent a third hand. ;)

The Mustang is completely safe to carry in condition two. Yes there is a firing pin block and no it won't go off by accident.
However, I would advise against condition two carry. It is the slowest and most fumble prone method of carry for a SA Auto. Also a small gun is harder to handle quickly and that just adds to the problem. Condition three is faster with practice but requires the use of both hands.
The Colt Mustang is an excellent little gun. I have one and carry it often. But, if you are uncomfortable with "Cocked and Locked", I seriously suggest you find another gun. As condition one is the way these guns were designed to be carried and nothing else is anywhere near as good.

Grayfox:

I appreciate your reply, I wasnt real sure if it had a firing pin block or not. When I bought it, colt had yet to come out with the pony (similar gun, just DAO) Would you recommend that I trade the mustang in for a pony or other DAO pistol. If so, what would you suggest, I have looked at ponies, guardians, and secamps (dont want to wait that long for one!) Any other pocket auto's you would recomend?

I used to have a Mustang, the darn thing jammed quite often. I did carry in the same condition as you are and yes "cocked and locked" made me nervous too. I would recomend that you carry on halfcock, just for good measure. ( I traded mine for a DAO Colt pocket nine and LOVE IT)

Later
Daren

[This message has been edited by Daren Thompson (edited August 31, 1999).]

Bob S.,
The real advantage of the Mustang and Pony is the locked breech design. This cuts the felt recoil in these small guns considerably. Most .380s are blowback systems and tend to have a sharp, nasty recoil. I have seen and shot the pony, but didn't care for the trigger action on them. I suppose a good gunsmith could fix it though. I would recommend Scott/McDougal for any work on one. Sorry, but I don't have any experience with the Gaurdian or Seecamp guns.
Truth is I'm not much for pocket guns. I was looking for a small auto for hot weather t-shirt and shorts carry. Since my normal carry gun is a .45 commander, the Mustang was the natural choice for me. Still I don't carry it in a pocket but carry IWB under a t-shirt.
I really can't give any advice for pocket carry except for a J-frame S&W .38. I suggest you start a new thread on reccomending small autos for pocket carry. I'm sure you'll get all the info you can use.
Frankly, the Mustang is an excellent little gun. They were designed to carry cocked and locked and are perfectly safe that way. If you can get over your doubts, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
BTW: If you decide to keep the Mustang, put in the Scott/McDougal trigger and stainless guide rod. These two mods will increase reliability and are definately worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back