Must Have Training Gear

stonewall50

I just put 150 rounds out of my gun 20 minutes ago. I live out in the boondocks and this is pretty frequent when I am home. Being at home I don't normally think about creating a bag specifically for shooting practice. I learned from this mistake and I have now come up with some items that are a MUST HAVE for the shooting bag(outside of gun, targets, bullets, hearing/eye protection, and staple gun). Edit if you wish. None of these are revolutionary.

1)Notepad and Pen- We all know how important information is. I personally use my cell phone to make notes in, but nothing beats the pen and paper for notes and doodles. The pen you can obviously mark the target as well.

2)Tape- Let's face it...the pen circle method doesn't always work for remembering where you landed those bullets. You can keep using the same target if you just cover up the holes. Also a nice way of modifying your target(shoot left of the tape or make a box with it and only shoot in the box). Obviously you can hang the target up too.

3)Plastic Bag- for clean up.

4)Speed Loaders

5)Water- Dehydration SUCKS! This will keep you out there.

6)Hat- I don't usually wear one, but it is nice for those bright days.

7)FOOD!- Pack of crackers or something. It is nice to keep you out there a little longer if you get hungry.

8)BUG SPRAY!- I cannot stress this enough, my ankles are so bit up at the moment because Florida is such a lovely place to be when there is standing water you do not know about. I had to come back inside because of the mosquitos.

9)Bandana- it is a rag, but also something to tie around your face because of bugs or dust on the range. Wish I had one earlier.

10) HEADACHE MEDICINE- I don't know how many of you frequent ranges with a cover, but I put a pack of B/C powder into my bag because I get headaches after shooting my short barrels under those covers even WITH ear protection.

11)Sun Screen

This is all I have for now. I carry alot of this stuff in my truck normally, but to save me a trip back to the truck or to just make sure I have it whenever I shoot I am putting all of this into my bag. If you have any other items that we don't normally think about or things that we should remember go right ahead and add them to the list. I think it is nice to share ideas like this with the rest of us shooters for our bags. Again I am not claiming these are revolutionary ideas, but maybe things that we should think about when we go to the range.

Add:

Extra staples.
Small tools (screwdriver bits mostly)
Squib rod (piece of wooden dowel)
Small amount of gun oil.
Spare battery if using electronic hearing protectors.

I seem to have alot more equipment when rifle shooting than pistol.
When pistol shooting i usally only have gun, rounds, target, hearing protection, and somethin cold to drink (tea, water, gatorade ect..)

When rifle shooting I have the same as above except I have a notebook I keep my info in, some type of rest, wether it be a jacket or backpack or whatever, gun cleaning kit, lens pen, and spoting scope or binocs.

No one mentioned cleaning rods. I'm not a fan of jointed cleaning rods but it wont hurt to keep one in your shooting stool for emergencies.

A few years ago, I loaded some 80 SMKs a little long for the 600 yard stage of a high power match. As often happens, I chamber the round then notice a wind change and want to hold up. To keep the round from getting warm, I pull it out, set it a side and grab another round.

I did this on my second round for record, when I ejected the round, the bullet stayed in the chamber. I didn't have a cleaning rod, nor did anyone else on the line. I had to quite firing that stage. Needless to say a "9" out of a possible score of 200 doesn't win the match.

Whats worse, I had been shooting High Power about 30 years and knew better.

In shooting pistol/revolvers, you sometimes see a round that somebody forgot to put powder in. The primer moves the bullet into the barrel, ending your shooting if you don't have a cleaning rod to get the bullet out of the barrel.

Back