Must be a collector's item?

Prof Young

Handful of guns at an auction today including a Mississippi Valley Arms, double barreled, 410 gauge. I figured this thing, made by Cressent, would be like a Sears gun, or a Western Auto gun and worth a hundred bucks or so. The thing went for $1300.00!!! Really! So I'm figuring this must be a collectors item.

Talk to me.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Oh yeah! Those collectible Crescent shotguns!:D

It happens when people get into bidding wars. They missed out on a gun they wanted at some point, so they go all in. I have had it happen to me in online auctions; I stop at a point where I know I can buy one elsewhere, but some guys just want to charge ahead.

Seems there's always one or two or three guys at the auctions that just won the lottery or whatever and will run up the price on anything. That or some of the seller's buddies are there doing it for him.;)

"...bidding wars..." Which is exactly what the auction company wants.
Mississippi Valley Arms isn't on the Crescent Arms list, but it'll be on the list of somebody like them.
Allegedly, Mississippi Valley Arms Co. was a Trade name used by Shapleigh Hardware Co. of St Louis, Mo. One of the suppliers to Shapleigh was H &D Folsom, who of course owned Crescent Firearms Co. Stevens apparently had something to do with 'em too.

Follow up report.

Went to a preview for a gun auction last night. Talked to the auction company's "gun guy." Told him about the MVA 410 sidebyside. He found the gun on a web site that indicated it may well be a $1K gun depending on the model. I should have asked about that web site. I'll see him again I'm sure. Will post more after that.
Life is good.
Prof Young

Old doubles in .410 bore are relatively rare, and usually command a premium over, say, a 12 gauge. If that shotgun was an L.C.Smith, it would have been 3 or 4 times that price.

Old doubles in .410 bore are relatively rare, and usually command a premium over, say, a 12 gauge. If that shotgun was an L.C.Smith, it would have been 3 or 4 times that price.

I was thinking the same thing. .410 double barrels were not prolific, and there aren’t that many. $1,300 sounds a little high off the cuff, but I don’t know this class of firearms very well so it may be legit.

Back