Mummy wrapped #4's

MJ1

This question about wrapped #4's is raging on several boards as collectors rush to locate and lock down the remaining unwrapped rifles for what ever reasons. The decision was taken out of my hands by mice or some other small creatures some time in the last twenty years. Two years ago while cleaning the shed I opened a wood locker and found several rifles, M1's and #4's, I had stored and forgotten in the late 80's. The paper on the #4's had been stripped to shreds for nesting and the slings on the M1's were less than string hanging from the loops. I wiped the outside of the #4's with rags and alcohol and after a month on the smell of pee almost went away. They are still unfired by me after the paper was destroyed. I don't think that will change as I have one or two other Enfield rifles I do shoot that you have all seen. My view is I will keep them for a while longer because I enjoy looking at them and agree that it would be hard to find a new made rifle as well made and fitted out. Just my .02 but till I need that kidney nothing will change.

564b5fed.jpg

0844608f.jpg

a0a206d2.jpg

090b2725.jpg

bb1a6ec7.jpg

Very pretty, fur sure.
Having never owned enough shootin' irons that there was a risk of losing track of any, it's very amusing and entertaining to hear of it.
I must need to buy more.
Thanks for the view,

Ed, it's an opportunity to post pic's of your No4's. Taking a No4 from the wrap is sort of like having sex for the first time, it only happens once.:cool:

wrap01.jpg

unwrap01.jpg

unwrap02.jpg

enfield201.jpg

Last edited:
Those are all beautiful, sights to behold.

There is no gun like a classical military rifle with wood, just in my opinion. ARs have the charisma of instruments from a doctor's office, painted black.

Excuse me, there are about 80 primed .303 cases behind me waiting for powder and bullets (single stage Lee with a scale: very time consuming).

I have your gun's brother!!

I bought a No.4 in the wrap about 15 years ago and after awhile I couldn't stand it anymore and unwrapped it. What a rush! The gun you have is identical to mine and I was able to find out that it was a last run of the No.4 and was intended for the Irish constabulary. After the contract had been fulfilled, it was decided to go ahead and use the new FAL that most European countries were adopting instead of the No.4. These apparently sat for a couple of decades in Ireland until a savvy imported bought them and brought them over here. Mine came with a matching serial numbered bayonet and scabbard. I paid $375 for the gun and bayonet in 1996. :)

Back