Multiple Load Data

ninosdemente

I am currently loading 6.5 Creedmoor for Savage 12FV 1:9twist. I have had success so far with H4350, well that is the only powder I have been using. At the moment am going to try Sierra 140gr SBT and Hornady 140gr BTHP Match with H4350. I have Lyman 50th, Hornady 10th and Nosler 7 books. I have been using Lyman for my load data. Now is it wrong to ignore Sierra, Hornady or Hodgdon load data and stick to just one book. Of course not all this data is near the same, some have different starting loads and others hotter loads.

For me, I have found great results at 37.1gr of H4350 for Hornady ELD and Nosler RDF both at 140gr. I start at the bottom and increase by .5 gr. So was going to go the same route to see what results I get.

Being that we always are testing, do you guys test from other load data apart from your "routine" go to load data? Do you always compare?

The Sierra I only have a box of 100 so I will stick to my go to Lyman data but have 500 of Hornady BTHP Match. Thanks in advanced.

I usually multiply the smallest published maximum load I find by 0.9 to get my starting point and figure I might get as high as the largest maximum published load I find. But I am watching for pressure signs along the way.

Unclenick, thanks for the input. I haven't loaded on the hot side. What results have you gotten from loading on the higher end? On one test, I used IMR 4350 lowest load as a starting point for H4350, not done on purpose. It was close to a 1 gr from H4350 actual starting load. Still was well below hot load.

I have found low nodes, and decided to keep them there for certain purposes, like actual range of use not greater than say 100 yds,. Only a few of my loads even get close to max, and thats because there may be a shot taken that is close to 350-400 yds, and those rifles are zeroed differently by the way,.
And I will use a less tightly grouping load to hunt at both of these aspects, depending on situation of the hunt.

Back