Multiple firearm usage of suppressor?

Kirbyman

Inactive
I am new to the forum and am interested in a suppressor for my Ruger MKIII. I was wondering if I could use the same suppressor for my 10-22. Anyone know the legalities?

I swap my YHM can around on three different handguns, notably a Ruger MKIII, a Sig Mosquito, and a Walther P22. I have yet to put it on a .22lr rifle simply becuase I do not have one that is threaded. I know of no reason why you couldn't use it on a rifle or pistol or both.

I move my 22 cans all over the place. I have a Ruger 22/45, a SIG Mosquito, a Walther P-22, a Ruger Charger, a Ruger 10/22, a GSG-5PK, and a SIG 522. I use the same suppressor on all of those.

Anyone know the legalities?

It is the suppressor itself that is the registered item. In BATF's eyes "It" is the firearm. No problem moving it from gun to gun.

You can use a registered suppressor on anything you want. However, Cans are usually designed for very specific calibers, and/or guns. If the threads match up, you could use that .22 can on a .22-250 rifle....legally, but it would surely destroy the can and may even be dangerous.

There may be one exception to this - integrally suppressed guns. I don't think that you can take an integrally suppressed barrel and use it on another gun, but I'm not sure about this.

Some people buy a 30 caliber can and use it on everything from 17-30 caliber. The only problem that can occur is that if you use it on a rimfire gun, you will get lots of crud buildup that is difficult to clean out unless you can take the silencer apart.

Ranb

Back