Multi-tool carry?

I've seen the posts about defensive knife carry, but i was wondering if anyone carries a multi-tool. If so, what kind and why? Personally i carry a Gerber 800. It's a solid piece of equipment and I really like the textured grips. I had straps sewn on the carrying case perpendicular to the main strap so I can carry it on my belt horizontally.

My knife and rifle are only tools; I am the weapon

I carry a Leatherman Super Tool.

If you hang around here you'll probably end up with a bat belt like most of us. Handgun, spare ammo, cell phone, pager, multi-tool, OC, PDA, etc. This doesn't take into account the pocket folder, back up gun, body armor, spares kit for your rifle etc. :D

Seriously, I got my first Leatherman not long after they hit the market. Upgraded to the Super Tool as soon as they were available and don't go anywhere without it. I've got a Gerber on my duty belt (it was a gift) and I don't like it nearly as well as the Leatherman.

Jeff

143=T

I carry a runt-sized Leatherman Micra on my keychain. I really don't want anything bigger because I already clank when I walk around. :D

It's great for cutting loose stringy-thingies, digging out dirt under fingernails, and opening bottles.

Bat Belts are us

Jeff White hit it on the head with the Bat Belt comment. I tried a little expieriment the other day, I weighed myself twice. First in running shorts and a T-shirt then after I put my kit on, nothing too out of the ordinary just my usual load out. Kimber Pro-Carry SLE, spare mag, CQC-7, Swiss Army Knife, Surefire 6-P, Gerber multi tool, Fox Labs OC, beeper, cell phone, money clip, wallet, ID carrier and date book. Before I put on my boots and body armor on the difference was 15 pounds.:eek:
As far as multi tools go I prefer the Gerber. I have used and carried one almost every day for 7 years. I can say for certain that they will take what I dish out. The biggest advantage Gerber has is the one handed opening feature. When you're hanging on to a ladder 20 feet off the deck with one hand that EZ out thing is priceless.

I've got the Victorinox Swiss Tool. Great, solid thing, also works as a tekko. It doesn't have the Leatherman life warranty thing, though... my brother's got one of those and has had almost all of the bits changed already, it seems their warranty even covers normal usage... great stuff.

I used to have the Gerber; I liked the ez-open feature but the pliers wouldn't endure the use i had - that vintage didn't have any kind of locking system for the blades and bits either. No good, even though Gerber is nowadays a subsidiary of Finnish Fiskars...

I carry a Leatherman Wave in the original leather snap-pouch, aft of my spare magazine. I'd like to get a Kydex pouch made for it, but I haven't found one I like yet.

- Chris

I carry the one and only Original Leatherman in stainless steel in the leather snap pouch that came with it.
Has served me well every single day for years. Best $40 I ever spent.

I carry a Leatherman Sideclip in my back right pocket. It's got fewer tools than most but it seems to have all the ones that I need. I also have a Leatherman Micra attached to an ArcLight LE (the scissors work well and the light comes in handy as a tool that's cheaper to feed than my defensive light).

Hmm, multi-tool....I think I've got one around here somewhere.

Attachments

• mvc-010f.jpg
    mvc-010f.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 171
I used a sears professional multitool, I like it better than the gerber or leatherman(owned both). The best features is 4 different reversible screwdriver(replaceable) & a real size slipjoint pliers. The gerber gives blood blisters when the handle snaps on your palm, & the leatherman's needlenose is too delicate. I use the sears multitool at least once a day(part of my regular tools) & it holds up nicely. I also like the unlimited,no questions replacement policy of craftsman.

Leatherman all the way

I had the origianl Leatherman, and stopped at a bad car vs pickup accident. Ended up having to pry out the back window of the truck, and broke the blade in half. I sent it to leatherman with a letter of explanation and asked how much it would cost to fix it. I received 2 weeks later a package where they had upgraded the original to the newly out Super Leatherman along with a nice letter thanking me for helping at the accident. From that day on, Leatherman has had ALL of my business, and will continue to receive it, and my recomendations!!

That multi-tool is one heck of a weapon in its own right. Leave the blade folded up and use it as a kubaton! I know from practice on a dummy that a folder can be as dangerous to you as to your attacker. It is all to easy for your hand to slip down that handle onto the blade. I saw it happen to a guy. Right before he went to the hospitol for stitches. On the other hand, the multi-tool, particularly the heavier models have awesome potential, are hard to disarm and can't cut your fingers off!!

original Leatherman

Carried one for most of my Army career....worked great for opening cowlings, taking the grips off the issue Beretta (oops--don't tell the Armorer), etc..

Woody

multi - tools

I started carring the Leatherman soon after it came out. I changed up a few times(always looking for a better idea) Until recently I was carring a Bucktool(since 1998) unfortunelately I sort of tweaked it this year(cutting bed springs of all things I sprung the plyers/wirecutters) So I took the opertuneate to test out a new Leatherman Wave model. It was love at first sight. The buck is going back for repairs and then in the drawer as a spare. The wave is riding on my belt fromm now on.
Lets see my everyday carry equipment: 2 sets of keys(1 car only& small swiss army, other house and assorted misc) Multi pouch - carries Wavw and mini maglight, bagmaster belt pouch - holds currently my daily meds, nail clipers, 2 spyderco's (police & std models), leather bikers walet complete with chain, bandana. All of this is currently on my right side as my left hand is currently useless due to susposedly a reaction to an insect bite. been that way for a month now.

Back