Multi-caliber suppressor?

jknight8907

Is it possible to have a suppressor that will work for more than one caliber? For example, could I get one that would work for a .22LR, .223, and .22-250?

Those rounds are the same caliber, different cartridge, and yes that is possible. The thing you need to be aware of is that 22 rimfire will gunk up any suppressor with lead so the suppressor must be take apart.

Most every .223 suppressor is rated for use on a 14.5" barrel, meaning that on a 24" .22-250 barrel you should have no problem with muzzle pressure. Be aware that virtually every manufacturer only warranties their cans on .223. That doesn't mean it won't work though.

The only mainstream .223 can that is take apart would be the TAC-16. I own one and like it, but there are better cans out there if you don't have to worry about lead fouling.

Yea, trying to get one can for both 22 rimfire and .223 doesn't work that well though. You either get something that is good on a .223 and WAY too heavy for a 22 or you get something that is light enough for a 22 and won't stand up to a .223.

Probably the best you are going to get is a SWR Spectre. It's a 22 rimfire suppressor that is rated for the 5.7x28, meaning it would be safe on a .22 Hornet.

I would strongly recommend getting a dedicated .223 suppressor and a dedicated 22 rimfire suppressor. Trying to get one that does both just does not work well. Yes that costs more, but you will be better off in the long run.

Soundtech had a can about 7 years ago that they said would work on .22 .223 and 22-250 it was heavy made and couldn`t be taken apart but could be soaked over night in a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and ATF... infact I think I still have one which I use on a Bullbarrel 10/22 and my S&W 41 but do not have a .223 or 22-250 host to screw it onto OH YEAH it also is stamped with the caliber useage.... here is a photo of it. if I remember correctly I was told that the way it was made and the material used it would withstand .223 and 22-250 here again I have never used it on either of those calibers but as heavy as it is im sure it wouldn`t have any problems handleing them lol....

Attachments

• Soundtechss.jpg
    Soundtechss.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 84
Thats a new one my class III dealer told me about the ATF and Mineral spirits where can I find info on the one your talking about ????

The chemistry is that lead corrodes rapidly in the presence of excess oxygen, which is provided by the hydrogen peroxide, and the resultant lead oxide is very soluble in a weak acid, the white vinegar.

The downside is that you should not use it in aluminum cans as it will tend to corrode the aluminum as well as the lead. Of course the byproduct of this reaction is lead acetate, a very toxic compound which can be absorbed through the skin and the disposal of the used mixture must be done carefully.

Some people just keep the used solution in a 5 gallon jug and put it out when their local garbage collectors do a Haz-mat garbage day where people dispose of their old paint and poisons, etc. Where I live they do it oce a year.

Back