Multi-cal SBR

Reading over the ATFE forms there are questions about caliber and barrel length. If I am attempting to SBR an Encore or AR with multiple calibers and/or barrel lengths, would I need to register each barrel/upper?

No. Choose the one caliber that you know you will always want to keep. Fill it out based on the metrics for that caliber. You are free to change configuration temporarily to any configuration you would like, just be sure you keep the parts to be able to return it to the configuration on your form 1.

Last edited:
I've recently just went through this via paper form 1. I called the ATF and they told me to submit a "other configurations" paper with caliber,barrel length, etc.

I just typed up a paper and listed 4 other "configurations". My actual form 1 is listed as a 5.56 caliber 10.5 inch barrel. I don't know what happened to the other paper I sent in (in duplicate of course). There's no other paperwork or mention of it on my stamped form 1.

Anyhow that's my quick story of what I did.

You are making one gun, in one configuration (one OAL, BL and caliber). Upon your approval/stamp, You are free to swap out uppers, calibers, etc without any BATFE notifications.

On my SBR form 1's, I used to add in the additional detail section "to also be occationally used with other calibers; .22lr, 5.56, and 7.62x39, in barrel lengths of 4.5", 5.5", 7.5", 10.5", 11.5' and 14.5"... Its not required, not needed but it made me feel better and I thought it might help if ever stopped and the SBR was in a configuration that was obviously different that what was on the form.

I dont even bother with it anymore. I just list the initial details now...

I just bought a 20" pro-hunter 45-70 barrel. Forcing the 460 SW to "work" on an Encore just seems like a money pity, especially considering the poor performance of the 460 SW factory barrels.

Back