MTC optics. Ever heard of them?

Pond James Pond

Whilst window shopping the endless choice of optics around I found my preferred stockist has this brand: MTC Optics. They seem to have some interesting designs and are reasonably priced.

Ever heard of them?

Compared to local prices that is not bad. My Nikon 3-9x50 Prostaff cost me about £160, so about $300 or so.

That is a competent, but basic scope and at the cheaper end of the scale. In that sense, a £284 price tag, if it had more features than the Prostaff would make it a viable scope, price-wise for the EU market.

Never heard of them. The shape looks similar to a model from China BSA was marketing a few years ago. Also, the specs on the web site are either newest, latest and greatest technology or BS. . . .Not sure which. At the price of $600 in the EU, I can't see you getting a nice scope.

That is all wildly subjective. If your guy has them, ask him to mount it to a rifle and go look through it, especially around sundown, looking at bright lights and into the shadows. Also, try all powers. Might be worth asking to shoot it a bit.

My point is I would be very skeptical of an unknown brand.

If your guy has them, ask him to mount it to a rifle and go look through it...

Any ordering would be over the phone/net. But I do trust the seller, he is a no BS type: if the product won't suit or is not worth the money, he says so!!

True, but they frequently have "more interesting" scenery on the beaches.

The scenery here is phenomenal! :D

I do think that Midway UK might be a bit more reasonable like this one for 143 pounds sterling.

Not so keen. I bought a TruGlo red-dot. It is OK, but the first I had to send back as it arrived broken, so an iffy buy that I won't take another punt on.

Looks like Chinese junk to me...........

Look again. It is a UK owned company and UK designs.

Whether it is made in China, I don't know, but you'll probably already find quite a bit at home that is. Doesn't mean it is bad.

"Winning acclaim from Airgunner...Airgun World...."

Given that many of your posts relate to long-range shooting, I'd be more impressed with reviews from that camp.

I did notice that the Viper (steal that from Vortex?) has some impressive specs, including 110 minutes of elevation adjustment. That'll get any bullet that's supersonic at 1000 yards on target without the need for a down-angle rail.

But I'd sure need to know more. There are some decent optics assembled in China, but with glass made elsewhere. I'd ask them the specifics about how and where they're made, and source of components. They don't seem to be a re-branded knockoff and have a unique style and appearance- at least as far as offerings here in the U.S.

Given that many of your posts relate to long-range shooting, I'd be more impressed with reviews from that camp.

True.

There seem to be contradictory remarks relating to their use.

On some pages I've seen statements about their being for any calibre whilst on the "reticle" pages it asserts that the "Connect" scope should not be used on recoiling rifles.
Yet, if I go to the "Connect" scope's own page there is no mention of this even though this is where I'd expect it most.

Look again. It is a UK owned company and UK designs.

Look a third time.

I'll second the 'looks Chinese' leapers BSA and Barska all spring to mind looking @ them. While that doesn't make them bad it would make me do alot more research. They are a UK based distributor. I didn't see any claims for design or construction. They simply by product and resell it.

Judging by these fine accessories... http://rowanengineering.com/ http://www.mtcoptics.co.uk/mtcRowan.htm that also include BSA Leapers and Barska parts... I'd stick to a nikon all day.

On the Genesis page it is stated that it is built in Korea.

Your dealer stocks what sells and lets all be honest cheap scopes sell a heck of alot more the nice ones.

Look a third time.

I'll second the 'looks Chinese' leapers BSA and Barska all spring to mind looking @ them. While that doesn't make them bad it would make me do alot more research. They are a UK based distributor. I didn't see any claims for design or construction. They simply by product and resell it.

Conceded. Had a hunt around and it does look like Chinese production. Shame: I'd hoped I'd found an innovative new UK based enterprise. Not so... :(

Chinese made need not be bad, but it is so hard to know whether what you've found is one of the gems or junk.

Last edited:
Back