MR-52 target

azredhawk44

I've got my M14 sighted in pretty well with a load that works for me. A little fine tuning to do still... deciding 1/2 minute one way or the other for elevation and a minute one way or the other on the windage...

But, the end result is I'm shooting 10-shot groups, slung from prone, single-loading and breaking position for each shot, that are about 3.5 MOA. Taking about 5 minutes to get that 10-shot group.

There's a distinct "walking" effect I can see.

I have yet to shoot just a 5 shot group to see how tight they are, but if I just pick five out of those 10 that are walking, on one extreme edge or the other, a 5-shot group for me is about 2 MOA, slung, single-loading.

I think part of the walking string is my eyes fatiguing. I'm using a 6 o'clock hold.

Can heat mirage off the barrel "trick" me and throw my shots off? I don't see any extreme mirage like if I heat up my Mosin 91/30... but I imagine the degree needed to knock a minute of accuracy off is pretty minor.

I'm shooting at an SR target just because the aiming black is about the same size for my 6 o'clock hold as on an MR-52 target.

Question 1: What size group do most HP competitors keep, in a 20 round string, on the MR-52 target and slowfire prone stage?

Question 2: Am I getting heat mirage issues between the sights, off the barrel? Or, is this more likely to be wind that I'm just not detecting, gusting lightly downrange but unfelt to me on the firing line? I didn't see any mirage-blow and the wind was coming from behind me, negligible left/right effect.

The strings are moving predominantly left-right. I find that shooting at a 4MOA target with my Mosin with a hot barrel that gives a flagrant mirage, I tend to hit to the right of the target all the time. I'm seeing a similar but less pronounced effect with the M14 here and I'm hoping for confirmation or other enlightenment.

Using a turner 1907 leather loop sling on a GI fiberglass-stocked Armscorp M14 with a Criterion 1:12 barrel, Hornady 168gr BTHP handloads. Elbow is under the receiver, using a surplus shooting jacket and a $1 home depot gardening glove for a support hand glove.

I'm not sure what the MR-52 target is. For 100 yard practice I use the NRA 100 yard reduced targets.

At 100 yards you should be able to clean the 100 reduced 300 target from the prone target, prone rapid fire because you arnt fighting conditions. Same with the 600 SF reduced target.

Thats 2 mins of angle.

To really test a gun I shoot the 300 yard target, at 200 anyone can slop them in, at 600 your testing your wind judging. If you can keep your shots in the X-10 ring at 300 yards, your equipment is up to par.

As for mirange from barrel heat on a M14/M1A..........I never ran into that problem and I'm been shooting M14/M1A in matches for about 35 years.

That problem does occur shooting 1000 yard, with glass. On my 300 WM 1000 yard Model 70, I use a barrel ban to break up the mirage from barrel heat. I dont use more then a 10 X scope because, 1) I want to focus it on the target, not mid range, 2) anything higher does pick up mirage and heat from the barrel.

I get my conditions, (mirage and otherwise) from a spotting scope. I set it up so's I can look through it by just turning my head, remaining in position.

If you get tired shooting 10 rounds slow fire in prone, then you have other problems, I recommend you just getting in position and setting there for extended periods to build you your endurance. Lots of dry firing.

Having said that, when I shoot a match (slow fire, regardless what I'm shooting) in 10 or more rounds, I break it up in 10 shot strings, I fire the first 10 shots, then completely get out of position, relax a couple minutes, the get set up in a good tight position and shoot the second 10 shot string.

Being relaxed is a shooting fundamental too many people over look. Get all you quiipment, scope, score book, pencil, ammo, etc, set up where you can get it (or as the scope, look through it) with out getting out of position.

Go to a match and watch people shoot, Some people do all sorts of task without seeming to move at all, some flop around like a chicken with its head cut off...........................guess which one is gonna have the best scores.

Maybe a bit more then what you asked, but I coached for a long time (Alaska National Guard Rifle Team) and I tend to get windy.

SR is the standing, 200 yard target.

MR-52 is the 600 yard target reduced for 200 yard shooting.

I was shooting at 200 yards.

2 MOA is the standard for a 20-shot string, slowfire prone? I've seen pics of people claiming to do that from a bench... but never from prone. The MR-52 (600 yard slowfire reduced for use at 200 yards) has a 10 ring that is 3.79" across... just big enough that a 2MOA shooter that is perfectly centered will clean the stage.

I'm just curious as to how many people clean the stage, versus shoot half 10's and half 9's for a score of 190, or so on. How big is a typical competitor's slowfire prone group for this stage?

If you get tired shooting 10 rounds slow fire in prone, then you have other problems, I recommend you just getting in position and setting there for extended periods to build you your endurance. Lots of dry firing.

Eye fatigue. I'm good with prone for extended shooting sessions... but my eyes tend to wear out after a couple hours of shooting for the day. I change my focal plane often by staring off elsewhere or just closing my eyes, but I've never had the best vision.

+1 to Kraigwy's post.
A rifle that will shoot 1.5 -2 moa should provide for a good score. The rest is the operator. The MR52 is a difficult target for the service rifle. It's easy to lose the post when trying to make the picture too perfect. Any time you can shoot into the mid 190's with the M14 you're on your game. One thought is that you may be taking TO MUCH time. Shoulder the rifle, breath, bring the sight to the target and bust it. Your 2nd Q- I don't think mirage or wind is a factor at 200yds. I too have problems slow prone. Mine stem from losing the front sight at the moment of release. The M14 is a hard rifle to master but there is unbelievable satisfaction that comes from shooting it well.

Back