MP5 on full auto ....wow what a blast

mssurrey

A friend of mine has a special permit (one of only a few hundred in the US) for a machine gun.

We went to the range today with his 9mm HK MP5 with a front pistol grip and a rear stock. and had a blast on full auto. It goes through 30 rounds in like 3 seconds or so. :D:D:D

It was my first time ever with a MG and I was pleasantly shocked by the lack of recoil. In fact all of my handguns (other than my .22lr) recoil more than the MP5. Also, it wasn't loud at all - another shock. No wonder it's the cohice for many tactical teams abroad.

I've only shot a semi-auto MP5 so far (I'm in police school, right now). The lack of recoil and the accuracy are amazing. I can imagine it's quite controllable in full auto mode, too.

A friend of mine has a special permit (one of only a few hundred in the US) for a machine gun.
????? "special permit"....that's nonsense, there is no such thing. We have probably a few hundred people in just this general area of Idaho alone, that own full-auto machine guns legally. They even have a "club" that meets regularly for full-auto shooting fun. There are literally thousands of people in the US that own pre-ban full-auto machine-gun gear. The local range has full-autos you can rent by the hour, including MP5's (but folks usually run out of ammo within the first 5-10 minutes :) ) Heck, my local Class III dealer tries his best to sell me one each time I see him (I just don't have the cash for it). All you really have to have to own a pre-86 full-auto is a lot of green to buy the weapon, $200 for the tax stamp, a clean background to pass the paperwork, and you're basically set....no such "permit" required. For a post-86 full-auto, you would have to be a Class III dealer with a demo letter.

Last edited:
Glad you had a fun time, but your friend is not that special. All it takes is not being a criminal, and a healthy wallet. Goto youtube.com and type in machinegun shoot and you will find more special friends.

You can get a MP5 for yourself for around $17,000

All it takes is not being a criminal, and a healthy wallet.

That is pretty special nowadays.

I paid a lot for my MP5, but they're even more now. I just wish I'd gotten mine a few years before I did. I could have bought a lot more with the same aount of money :(

i have an MP5 that i use for ERT stuff and it's great to shoot. unfortunately ours are 3rd burst. :(

it's an accurate SMG; i've hit the metal lollypop targets (i think they're 6" or 8" diameter steel plates) at 100yds consistantly.

That's what he told me - perhaps I'll ask him if there's something 'special' about his permit!

In any case, it's great fun - now I know why people want(ed) one :)

Apparently after about 10AM this morning. I just got off the phone with my Class III dealer talking to him about an SBR. lol :D

pwelsh4hd
Quote:
????? "special permit"....that's nonsense, there is no such thing. We have probably a few hundred people in just this general area of Idaho alone, that own full-auto machine guns legally. They even have a "club" that meets regularly for full-auto shooting fun. There are literally thousands of people in the US that own pre-ban full-auto machine-gun gear. The local range has full-autos you can rent by the hour, including MP5's (but folks usually run out of ammo within the first 5-10 minutes ) Heck, my local Class III dealer tries his best to sell me one each time I see him (I just don't have the cash for it). All you really have to have to own a pre-86 full-auto is a lot of green to buy the weapon, $200 for the tax stamp, a clean background to pass the paperwork, and you're basically set....no such "permit" required. For a post-86 full-auto, you would have to be a Class III dealer with a demo letter.

Note to self: Move to Idaho when opportunity presents itself

Back