Mp5, how do you classify it

I believe that all MP5's are considered submachine guns. A semiauto version with buttstock and same barrel length would be a short barrelled rifle, hence also illegal for most civilians. I believe that is why the HK94 etc., have such a long barrel. The semiauto version of the MP5K (the SP89) can pass as a pistol. But keep in mind the SP89 with the folding buttstock (for the MP5K) becomes a short barrelled rifle as well. In Southern California, the HK94 is about $4500 and up. The SP89 is about $3500 and up...

You won't find one at Wall-Mart. Illegal for most to own and very expensive. Very cool auto-pistol shooting, half rifle! My friend will sell his when he SWATS to Nevada for 3500. Yea..I passed too-I bought a GLOCK!

the mp-5 would definitely be classified as a submachine gun.

It is selective fire (full auto, semi-auto or 3 burst) and fires a PISTOL cartridge (i.e. 9mm Luger Parabellum)

Does anybody know if they make the thing in a "real" pistol caliber (i.e. .45 ACP)?

If not, I'd rather take the Thompson. But being that we have our wonderful NFA of 1934, Oh well. It doesnt really matter for most of us out here.

Get a rifle, the true "firearm of liberty".

Orsogato,

Unfortunately, H&K doesn't make the MP5 in .45. Only in 9mm, 10mm, and .40 S&W. However, H&K has developed the UMP which is chambered in .45!

Corbon91
------------------------
"The rifle is the first weapon you learn how to use because it lets you keep your distance from the client. The closer you get to being a pro, the closer you can get to the client. The knife, for example, is the last thing you'll learn."

>Does anybody know if they make the thing in >a "real" pistol caliber (i.e. .45 ACP)?

Recently they've come out with the UMP45 which is basically a .45ACP w/lots of synthetic its an improved version of the MP5 (very nice)! I like the HK53 (.223) much better than any subgun though.

Robb Jensen

"Yes I know who my enemies, they're the teachers who taught me to fight me. Compromise, confrontation, assimilation, submission, ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite. All of which are American dreams".-----Zack de la Rocha (lead singer from Rage Against The Machine)

I was in the FBI gun vault a few months ago and saw a bunch of MP5s in 10MM I can't say if they were made special order or not

The MP5 is also available in 40 S&W and 10mm as regular production items.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back