Moving to Maine

Sprags

Inactive
Hello all...Next week I'm moving to Maine to start a new job. I'm interested in purchasing a S&W 625 soon after moving as a ift to myself for landing a new job.

My questions is:

Will I need to have a Maine drivers license to purchase a firearm in Maine or
will my Ohio DL work OK as ID?

I was hoping in order to make things easier for my home sale to keep my Ohio DL until the sale goes through...so I'm going to be living in an apartment temporarily.

Thanks...Blake

In order to purchase a handgun you must be able to prove residency. The minute you pull out an out of state DL the dealer is probably not going to sell the gun to you.

There are a few exceptions like active military.

Get your vehicle registered in Maine and get a Maine drivers license immediatedly. Save all utility bills when you get them and bring them along. Last handgun I purchased needed a street address on an official document such as a vehicle registration. Really a piece of cake.

Workaround

Here's what I did when I moved from CA to WA. I too had a house for sale and had to go back and forth a couple of times. Go to DMV in new state and trade old license for new. Next time you're in old state, report license lost, and they will send you a replacement. Now you have both.

No ill intent, here, just needed ID for both states due to circumstances. We all know the gov't. does not trust it's citizens and it's satisfying to do an end run from time to time, if only to demonstrate that "you can't fool all the people all the time".

Good luck with the move and the new job.

Thanks for the advice. I may just try to be patient and satisfied with my existing collection until I get settled in.

triman5 said:
Here's what I did when I moved from CA to WA. I too had a house for sale and had to go back and forth a couple of times. Go to DMV in new state and trade old license for new. Next time you're in old state, report license lost, and they will send you a replacement. Now you have both.

No ill intent, here, just needed ID for both states due to circumstances. We all know the gov't. does not trust it's citizens and it's satisfying to do an end run from time to time, if only to demonstrate that "you can't fool all the people all the time".

Good luck with the move and the new job.

Which is called fraud in most states.

You could buy guns in Maine in private sales without having Maine identification, so long as you were in Maine with the intention of making Maine a home which is the Federal definition of state of residency.

Just do it legally and you won't have anything to worry about. You gotta get the changes done anyways so take a few hours one day and get 'em all changed over to ME stuff. THEN go reward yourself.

What part of our wonderful state you gonna locate too?

Back