Moving the goal post

polska

Just when we were beginning to see different calibers availlable again. Powder and bullets showing up on the shelves and primers slowly coming back. Something has to happen to screw it up. I'm sure we will supply small arms to the Ukraine so I assume the US goverment will get priority for ammo production which means we go on the back burner for another year. Just to leave it all to Putin.

I seriously doubt it. We may see price increases because of fuel costs for transport, but the volume of ammunition won't be enough that Lake City can't handle it. Plus, the NATO allies will supply some of it.

I pray you're right. They are starting to beat me down with the prices and shortages. Local gun shop received a shipment of primers last week, priced at $100 a brick and was sold out in a day. I figured the new norm was gonna be $50 a brick but if stores are selling out at $100 it will take awhile if ever to get there.

If the same adminstration handles a "war" with Russia the way they handled the exit from Afghanistan we are in for dark times, indeed.

and, there is no way I can pay (or justify paying) $1 a primer.

$0.10/primer?

Polska,

Prices are not going to retreat only because the supply lines have caught up. As long as people can charge that much and get away with it, they will. The only times prices drop are either when competition appears that charges less (a price war) or when people stop buying at the inflated prices. That last thing only happens when those spooked by the shortages stop overbuying. I saw an economist talk about how overbuying happens with every shortage. People get desperate to make sure they aren't the ones caught with no supply. So, instead of buying only what they need, they buy more, often much more than they need, and will do it at most any price. They are competing for supply by bidding the price above what the next guy can afford. They also create and sustain the shortage, encouraging sellers to increase prices even more.

The psychological problem is that over-buyers often don't stop when they have plenty. A friend of mine says his neighbor started buying toilet paper like it was going out of style when the initial pandemic-related shortages occurred. Then one day he looked in his garage and realized he had about a 4-year supply stashed away. Only then did he finally stop buying it. And he probably paid too much for a lot of it, and that's money not earning interest for him in savings or investments, which is contributing to lowering his spending power after inflation. All around, a bad strategy. Unfortunately, until some folks see they have a quarter-million primers and realize that at the rate they shoot, they are likely to be long dead before they can shoot them up, will they finally stop buying them. Then the market can return to some sort of normalcy.

The issue of having faith in return to normalcy compounds demand. After a year or two checking local stores, online vendors, driving to other towns looking for whatever supplies I need, I have decided to buy stuff when it's available. Trusting that a couple pounds of powder will be sufficient and when that gets used, just mosey into Scheels and get a couple more pounds isn't a sure thing. So, we get conditioned to make hay while the sun shines. Unfortunately this prolongs the drought.

It's possible, but hard to say, hopefully there wont be another run. But I have enought to get me by for a few years. I have drawn my line in the sand, for primers I won't pay more than 100 per 1000. Last 2 times I have bought from brownells for around 85 per 1000. I have found primers at between 130 to 175 per 1000 locally and passed on them.

I'm sure we will supply small arms to the Ukraine so I assume the US government will get priority for ammo production which means we go on the back burner for another year.
I suspect something similar...or at least another bulge in ammunition & gun sales...folks are nervous after two years of one "crisis" following another....we stopped by Costco yesterday and the gas lines were enormous...Saturday bulge for sure, but about double what's normal. YMMv Rod

Unclenick:

There is not logic to it. All the bullets are gone (or were, some coming back).

Common and odd calibers alike. If you can't do the match of, I load 20 a year to hunt with and I now have 1000 bullets, well we are doomed.

Unfortunate primers are so much easier to stash than toilet paper, once the garage is full of TP you get that slap in the face.

Some years back nearly every branch of the FedGov bought millions/billions of rounds of loaded ammo. 9mm,40 S+W,5.56,etc.
To include the Dept of Ed, Dept of Ag, Social Sec Admin,etc.

I have never heard a credible explanation for any lawful disposition of that ammo.

That s an example of a black hole of ammo shortage that gives me tight jaws.

I have not forgotten the corrupt nature of Ukraine, but still I see a sovereign nation invaded by the aggressor Putin.
My sympathies are with the Ukrainians fighting for their Homeland.

If it will mean Ukrainians have ammunition to do their own fighting, I can live with continuing shortages for a while.

*sigh* I expect that there will be another minor run on what's left after the State of the Union address tonight with Bidet making calls for more "gun control". We'll see.

Back