moving sig sights???

jim-alex

I have a Sig 220 with Sig night sights. I need to move the rear about a 1/4 mm. Now this is not a heck of lot but at 25m, it equals 43mm or about 1 3/4" if my computation is correct. I really don't care to pay $125 for a Sig sight pusher, besides I doubt if it would push these darn sights anyway. I let Militec seep around the sight, (need to move it right to left - sight is inserted at factory left to right - seems easy) Anyway, I am using a brass rod 5/32"
diameter as a drift. I have really smacked this thing! I put small witness marks on sight and slide. It has not moved
a molecule! Just how much smacking can these sights take? I don't want them to break loose and go shooting across the room or to have the tritium capsules break.
Bit frustrating! Any suggestions? Get a bigger hammer?

Regards,
Jim

Jim, replacement sights even from the factory will often times be a little oversize for the dovetail. Before you ruin the sight you might consider filing the sides of the sight's dovetail tenon just a little. I would not take more than five strokes with a file between tries. If you were to go too far and the sight end up being loose in the dovetail, assuming this sight doesn't have a set screw, you can use a centerpunch to make dimples in the bottom of the slide's dovetail and tighten it back up. George

George - Thanks for the reply. The night sights were factory installed, I just need to move them left .28mm, which is probably the width of the witness mark I scratched in. Do you mean to just take a couple of passes with a file at the very small amount of the slide tenon that remains exposed on the left (since the sights were installed left to right)? Worth a try. Banging on them has gotten me nowhere.

Gary - also Thanks. If George's suggestion does not work, I guess I'll just smack harder and if they break I'll get an adjustable rear sight (after I quit yelling at myself).

Can't believe how tight the rear sight is!!

Regards
Jim

Jim, the part that's exposed isn't what's stopping it. I was talking about having the sight out and filing the whole length of the tenon. I misread your post. I thought you had taken the sight out and were replacing it. If it were me I'd take it out and file it down a little. As it is it will obviously be next to impossible to adjust the sight at the range. George

Back