Movie Review

Ed Brunner

Recently some of you touted me on The Thin Red Line and I watched it last night. I found it fairly typical of the new genre of anti-war war movies. Also it was a bit too surrealistic for my tastes.
A couple of things stood out. Nick Nolte's Battalion Commander was believeable as was the time spent thinking about wives and girlfriends.
I wasnt sure what they intended to portray with the sheer madness displayed by the overrun Japanese troops, unless it was meant to show the horrors of war, and if so there are probably better examples.
Overall, I didnt like it.
Tonight I get to watch DC's pick: Blues Brothers 2000.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

I thought it sucked to. matter fact I carried on a conversation with the people sitting next to me

------------------
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
- Patrick Henry

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

ICQ no. 46780559

I also did not care for the movie. I won't get into a discussion of it. I just didn't like it.
Cat

Watched the Thin Red Line in the theater. It really disturbed me. I'll never watch that movie again. Didn't care for Ronin though.

The husband watched TRL couple of nights ago... I was looking to get to sleep early anyway, so he ordered it on DOD. In the morning, I asked him what he thought of it (I wasn't too impressed by it, considered it boring). His expert opinion, "it sucked".

We're going to re-rent "Somthing About Mary" again... can't get enough of that bathroom scene.

Geri Weaver

------------------
BlackHawk Authorized Dealer (BAD) - "Better than catalog" prices & free shipping http://www.geardup.com/gearedup.htm

On "Ronin":
The "ambush" scene is priceless, brilliantly and clearly explaining how an ambush can be cleverly set up, and how a proper ambush is truly unexpected.
Gotta watch it again.

I would allso like to note that on Ronin the car handling on the vehicle chase scenes was enjoyably good. The "question mark" or "Fish hook" type slides shone with their non presence :)
I wonder what is wrong with the stereotypical Hollywood vehicle stunt planning that every goddam time a vehicle takes a curve with a slide it has to be at least three times too wide ??
The slide starts too late to do any good and goes idiotically wide at the last third of the curve eating up speed and resulting excess wheelspin and pathetic corner excit velocity.

I've often wondered is it due to the lack of FIA Rallye racing type competition in US that audience doesn't see actually efective choice of lines on streets and thus can't apreciate such.

(Rallye Race is put together of "special stages" that are isolated leghts of gravel and tarmac surfaced roads)

After all keeping a good old group B rallye racer that weights less than a ton and has around 500-550 bhp,4wheel drive and gearing for 125mph top speed (can U say acceleration ;) is a task that calls for a bit more sophisticated lines than sliding old LTD ;)

Gattling.

Honestly, the few times that I wasn't bored out of my gourd, I was laughing hysterically (like when Woody Harrelson blew his own butt off with a grenade).

It was like a 3 hour Calvin Klein commercial, based in jungle combat zone. Disembodied voices giving narration, odd camera angles, Vaseline on the camera lens, and cameo's out the wazoo did little to bring the Pacific campaign to life. Now if they'd made, "Goodbye to Darkness," into a movie, as is, I'd love to see it.

Compared to the starkness of "Saving Private Ryan," this movie seemed frivolous.

I think the difference is thst U.S. fans are used to the broadslide corners. That is the only reason that I can think of.(Bullit was an exception).

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

I agree - TRL was the worst 'war' movie I've ever seen. My only hope is that it established a minimum level of quality, and future directors will never sink that low again ... It was sort of a 'Pacific war on LSD' flick, wasn't it? TRL made watching paint dry sound like excitement.

Jeff: That was a good description of it!

I just finished watching Blues Brothers 2000 and as promised here is my review: I really liked it A LOT!!! Most sequels miss it. This one might be better. It deserves a look if you are into music in a strange setting.I wont give anything away but you REALLY might like it!

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

[This message has been deleted by Ed Brunner (edited August 31, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Ed Brunner (edited August 31, 1999).]

I personally found TRL boring, but I think it accomplished what it wanted to. Some weird poetic skewed view of war by the main character. All of the big time actors with 2 minute parts was weird.

And woody harrelson having a granade going off on his hip, what was that about?

Anyway, it featured a new fav of mine, the Garand. :)

Made the mistake of renting Lethal Weapon IV. It sucked pretty bad. In addition, there is an anti-gun thread running through it. Not five minutes into the movie, somebody makes a disparaging comment about the NRA. Later, in a scene at the police station there are two HCI posters visible in the background. I couldn't take any more and I bailed out shortly after that scene. Don't waste your time.

The bullit has good lines mainly due to mr.McQueens autoracing experience, or atleast I believe so :)

Come to think of it Paul Newman should know his stuff with the wheel as well ;)

Gattling.

Back