Movie guns??????

KNIGHT

I'm looking for info on the weapons used in movies. I would like to know who the major firms are and what their role is in the movie making procces. I am building an informational web site about the armorer and his(or her) work in the movie industry. I would like to learn the history of guns in the movies and the inovations produced by their work. Any help is welcome.

------------------
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

One of our Moderators, Harry Humphries has served as a consultant to some productions. You can find his Email link on any of his posts, check his Training Forum.

<a href="http://www.ima-usa.com">International Military Antiques, Inc.</a> provided much of the weaponry, especially the machine guns, for the movie "Saving Private Ryan." The link will take you to their website, or you can call them at 908/903-1200.

Probably THE most famious movie RIFLE, IMO THE STAR OF THE FILM, was made by Shiloh Rifle Mfg. 3 of them in fact were made for Tom Selleck for the film "Quigley Down Under". That rifle was a

Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range Express

I really can't think of any other movie that the "CoStar" was a rifle and played such an important part in the film.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Rob, wasn't the main gun in Dirty Harry a .44 revolver?

And I second the admiration of Quigley Down Under. If you haven't seen it and have any interest at all in rifles, westerns, comedy, or beautiful and loony women, SEE IT. ASAP. You won't be sorry. Besides, believe it or not, I think the rifle in Quigley actually is more central to the story than the .44 is to Dirty Harry because a great deal of the plot is the ability of one man with a great rifle and a lot of skill against several with handguns. It is very cool and the romance and comedy will impress a girlfriend who hates guns.

Stembridge Gun Rentals is a major firearms supplier to the movies. Sorry, I don't know if they have a web site.

Ditto on "Quigley", one of my favorites. Don't forget "Winchester 73". The whole plot is based on getting back a stolen rifle.

don't forget another jimmy stewart movie i believe it was called carbine williams. where he was in prison and in secret! at least for a while he was trying to develop a self loading rifle. based on the actual story of the man, who if my recall is even close, developed the m-1 carbine

You guys left out "Winchester 73" although there were a few mistakes like calling a plain Jane "73" a Henry. Can't win 'em all. :)
Paul B.
COMPROMISE IS NOT AN OPTION!

Quigley down under. That would have to be one of the worst films ever made. I cringe when I watched some of it. The sterotype of the bad Australians hurting the aboriginies was way off. I don't think I could watch it long enough to pay attention to the guns part of it.

------------------
Drop by and visit at www.gun-center.com

Thanks guys. I am thankful for the info. I will post the web page address when I get it finished.

------------------
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few.

Gwinny,

Referencing a firearm as co-star....

I don't think there is a more famous scene with a firearm than Dirty Harry speaking rather highly of the capabilities of his Model 29.

------------------
-Essayons

Stembridge Guns has sold most if not all of their NFA (machine gun) inventory. California changed their laws so that Class III dealers could not transfer to out of state dealers. Dan Shea who puts out Small Arms Review was brokering them.

Tom

Knight,

If you are looking for info about movie gun coaches...Thell Reed has been the gun coach for several films: "The Quick & the Dead", "LA Confidential", "Tombstone", "Purgatory", "The Newton Boys", "Last Man Standing", and "Gunfighter's Moon" (he also acted in this film & had a cameo twirling scene in "The Newton Boys").

Thell Reed as a teenager toured and twirled all over the world with Gene Autry. Thell was one of the original five "Combat Masters" annointed by the SWPL, along with Jeff Cooper.

Today, Thell is an active gun coach, and partners with Ray Chapman (another one of the original "Combat Masters") in their joint movie gun rental business. Of course, the two partners specialize in their first loves...the SAA.

If you build a movie rental web site I'm certain they'd like to be included.

Back